Powering a Raspberry Pi from 120VAC and 13.8VDC

Discussion in 'RFinderPi - Open Source radio interface based on R' started by W0RIO, Apr 20, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. W0RIO

W0RIO Ham Member QRZ Page

RaspiTouch.jpg

Here's another fun project I've been working on while stuck indoors during a pandemic during solar minimum.
    The photo shows a Raspberry Pi 3B+ in an Adafruit case with a 512GB solid state USB disk. There is also a
    Sabrent USB audio adapter (thanks to the Julian videos) and a Longrunner HDMI touch screen ($63 on Amazon).
    The setup works with either the USB touch screen that's built into the display or a standard USB mouse and
    keyboard. I surrounded the monitor with a grounded copper shield because I did not want to destroy it with
    static electricity.

Power is supplied to both the Pi and the display using Micro B USB wires.
    When running on AC, the Pi and display are powered by a pair of switch-mode supplies.
    Running on 13.8 VDC requires a Meanwell SD-15A-05 switching voltage converter (Jameco.com)
    to produce 5VDC, that goes to a dual USB type A socket and a pair of USB A to Micro B adapters.

For fun, the two USB type A sockets were hack-sawed out of a dead PC motherboard, it might
    be cleaner to cut the adapter cords and wire them directly to the converter. On a similar note,
    everything could also be run on a single AC power supply.

I use this for a home/auto music player, hence the need for the 512GB drive, but one
    could also run ham radio apps like FLDigi or QSSTV on the pi, something I intend to do.

The Pi is a really fun gadget.

NE4EB likes this.
  2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice.

Where is the Fuse(s) ?

3. AB2YC

AB2YC Ham Member QRZ Page

You may want to look at Volumio as well

I use a pi zero and can control it with my phone or tablet etc.

US7IGN likes this.
  4. W0RIO

W0RIO Ham Member QRZ Page

Good question, the AC supplies (probably) have fuses on the AC input side based
    on their labels for UL and other testing/regulatory agencies.
    The DC-DC converter has a built-in fuse on the DC input side that is visible through
    the case perforations.

It would be a good idea to add a fuse to the 5V bus.

5. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

I added hi-fi DAC for my hi-fi audio system from another SL-EH590 for case, Mean Well LRS-35-5 for power, Raspberry Pi 4 Model B 2 GB and HIFI ES9038Q2M Digital decoder board for Raspberry Pi I2S 32Bur 384K DSD128 powered by Volumio

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. AB2YC

AB2YC Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been getting into Audio a lot more than Radio lately and enjoying it quite a bit.

I stumbled upon Volumio and It's pretty slick and quite easy to setup.
    I did find if you go through the effort of putting the album art in
    the root of each folder it makes the album screen load much faster.

US7IGN likes this.
  7. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

I do so, but the pictures are not important to me. But the sound quality I'm very happy. I can not hear the difference with the CD.

Next level is to buy old SONY ES amp and matched speakers...

And add Raspberry of course )

AB2YC likes this.