Power Supply search

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KA8WRL, Oct 12, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
  1. KA8WRL

KA8WRL Ham Member QRZ Page

I just purchased a new Icom IC-7200, and the Icom PS-126 is no longer sold.

What power supply would be best?

I am setting up my ham shack with the 7200 and only using 110V.

I at first was looking at Samlex, but now do not know which company and power supply would be best for my use.

Any suggestions would be great.

2. WB0MPB

WB0MPB Subscriber QRZ Page

Well what I use is going to really make me take some incoming heat by the China and inexpensive haters but here goes. I have 2 of these power supplies.
    One has run a Yaesu FT-450D and the other a DM-100 for 3 and 4 years. So I have 4 years experience with 2 of them and they work great.

So let's not turn this thread into a bashing my switching power supply thread. It is not about me it is about giving ideas to @KA8WRL.

so anyway that is what I use.

John, WB0MPB

K2CQW and W9KEY like this.
  3. KE8FWJ

KE8FWJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Go American, go linear, go Astron. Locally designed & assembled. Local support and zero RFI emissions.

Linear is also so simple you could assemble your own PSU with zero RFI and ripple no more than 50mV and a rockhard 13.8VDC output :) And have fun building it and the satisfaction knowing you've homebrewed it yourself.

Have fun, have fun, have fun.

KK5JY and N2EY like this.
  4. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Find the power needed (amp rating) on transmit in the specs, get a good linear supply with 2 X this rating.
    I like Astron supplies, pretty reliable and not expensive.

N2EY likes this.
  5. K8AI

K8AI Ham Member QRZ Page

Go switch-mode. I've been running a HP Proliant 460W server power supply (with my own enhancements) for a year on HF with zero problems/noise. I got mine free but you can get them for $10-$20 on ebay.

I don't really care what the self-proclaimed expert, PhD injuneers say - like the Chinese proverb says: "man who say it cannot (or should not) be done should not interrupt man doing it."

K2CQW, WA7PRC and WB0MPB like this.
  6. KW4GT

KW4GT Ham Member QRZ Page

There's no such thing as 'best', what you're really looking for is a power supply that's adequately sized, reliable, and doesn't put out RFI. I've been happy with my Astron, it's more than met my expectations.

7. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I have used Astron linear power supplies, for both amateur radio and commercial two-way FM applications for about 3-decades. Old fashioned, but they do an excellent job.

Glen, K9STH

WA8FOZ and KK5JY like this.
  8. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

The specifications on page 39 of the IC-7200 Instruction Manual (link) state that it pulls 22A at 100W output. Consider that voice has an equivalent duty cycle of about 25% (Morse ≈ 33%). Then, the AVERAGE current requirement is about 5.5A on SSB (Morse ≈ 7.3A) plus a coupla Amperes for support stages.

Then, a typical 15A (20A intermittent) PS should play fine. Beware that the PS efficiency is a lot worse with linear supplies than with switching supplies. This is because the power device(s) in the regulator dissipate (VIN - VOUT) x ILOAD, and they typically have AT LEAST 2V more at the input than the output. OTOH, switching regulators are a lot more efficient... upwards of 90% is typical. Some older "switchers" generated a lot of noise. Typically, newer designs are quiet.

9. N4MTB

N4MTB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Astron 30 or 50 amp. Solid, linear and heavy. But I like stuff that will outlive me.

10. W9KEY

W9KEY Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, you won't get any heat from me, other than I probably got the exact same supply - but paid more (at least it looks the same as yours). However, this eBay seller has a 100% rating and states the supply is suitable for Ham Radio use. The 33 A (30 continuous) is $55, including shipping.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/33A-DC-Pow...-to-over-15-VDC-Real-MegaWatt-03/163307026146

I've used mine for several months and am generally happy with it. Have identified some noise spikes on the low bands, but so far not a problem, nor have I felt the need to try normal suppression techniques. My only real complaint is the loud fan - which runs all the time. When I get around to a more permanent shack, I'll try to get it further away, or try for some type of enclosure.

I may buy the Amazon one you found - just as a spare. Is your fan loud??