power supply for qrp rig

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by KD2RON, Apr 22, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for the info Richard. It's as I thought, but wasn't exactly sure. I'm waiting on delivery of a NOS HWA-2036-3 supply for my HW-9 & picked-up this "wall-wart" @ our remaining Radio Shack for temporary use.
    BTW: Nice BIO/photos on your QRZ page. :)

73 de Steve / W5BIB

AA4OO likes this.
  2. AI6KX

AI6KX Ham Member QRZ Page

Changing the AC "polarity" has no effect on the DC output polarity.

Wall-warts usually are fine for QRP rigs. Just get one that has about twice the current rating that what your 5-watter draws key down. 1-amp will work but 2-amps is safer.

The 12-volt wall-warts all seem to have the correct DC plug and polarity these days but it can't hurt to check that the center pin is positive.

3. W5BIB

I cut off the "plug" that it came with. Then checked (with VTVM) & found the "positive" side. I was worried about the "AC" polarity".
    BTW: I spent a very enjoyable 18 month tour (1965-67) off & on Okinawa @ Torii Station (Hanza) with the ASA 51st SOC & JSPC. :cool: I guess that's all changed now....

4. AI6KX

AI6KX Ham Member QRZ Page

Not changed very much. The active duty folks and their families love their tours on Okinawa - a tropical vacation courtesy of Uncle Sugar. And the contractors are doing just fine thank you.

5. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Wall Wart + GelCell
    I have a few gelcells , mostly around 6AH rated and not very big or heavy. I power them at a maintaining current rate from a mid size 12V wallwart that just has a simple halfwave diode rectifier and a filtrer capacitor. (I tore a few failed ones apart to find out)
    Those wallwarts are rated 12V 800-1000 mA. They have up t0 16 V open load so I use the GelCell to give me a more regulated solid 13V power. I use an automotive tail lamp between the wall wart and the battery, as a current regulator. This makes a fine field supply for QRP radio or auto radio bench supply.

6. W5BIB

AA4OO - I heard you on 30m this afternoon but my 4 watts weren't enough!
    Nice fist Richard.

7. W0RIO

W0RIO Ham Member QRZ Page

Beware of wall-wart ratings, most unregulated DC output wall warts are rated under load
    such as 12V/1Amp. At 0 amps, the voltage may raise to 18V or more and can fry your gear.

Inexpensive switching power supplies can make a good QRP supply and can often be adjusted
    to an exact voltage such as the standard 13.8V. I've had good luck with MeanWell switching
    supplies. Switchers may produce a lot of RF noise, but the modern types are not too bad.

Here is an analog power supply that I home-brewed, it's perfect for most 12V QRP rigs:
    http://www.solorb.com/elect/hamcirc/12V4Asupply/

KF5FEI likes this.
  8. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Ditto on the MeanWell supplies. You can score a 5-amp unit for pretty cheap on FleaBay. Just make sure you have a fuse on the power cable going from the power supply to the radio, just in case...

9. KD2RON

KD2RON Ham Member QRZ Page

I was inflating my lawn tractor with my "Tire Slime" portable air compressor and realized it has a 12v output. Soldered the correct power plug and was in business. May be carrying a little extra weight but saved buying a battery and it has a nice handle and charger. Might also come in handy if I have a flat.

W5BIB likes this.
  10. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

This is Exactly why you need a current Regulator that actually limits the voltage into a storage battery. The battery sets a hard voltage limit as it is charging while you u use it to power your QRP rig.
    The discarded but working wall wart supply, light bulb siries regulator, and 6AH storage battery is a fairly inexpensive and lightweight setup to take into the campground or wilderness.

Last edited: May 14, 2016