ad: k1jek

Power strip or surge protector

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by KK6YXC, Oct 24, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. KK6YXC

KK6YXC Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm putting together my first shack and have always tried to use a surge protector when hooked up to sensitive electronics. I'm wondering if it is needed for my switching power supply, and if I should get one with rf filtering like what's Tripp lite makes. Will they make any rf noise? Not sure how to protect my equipment.
    -Steven
    Kk6yxc

2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

It would not hurt.

I use metal types, I do not like how plastic smokes.

What really works good, Is a good computer UPS, They have filtering and battery backup.

Enjoy your new shack.

3. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

A surge suppressor shouldn't be a problem. They aren't all made the same so if you're unsure, ask the manufacturer/dealer. Most late model switching supplies are commonly RF 'proofed'. Of course it depends, so do that asking thing and if there's one close, test it for noise (portable radio?). The biggy is don't ask any power source to supply more than it can. A very good idea is look for the CCS rating, Constant Current Supply, meaning what it will do all day long, not just in surges. (Most PS ratings are ICS (Intermittent Current Supply), not CCS. So, bigger than you think necessary ain't a bad idea. Adding an RF filter after a switching supply usually doesn't quiet it down much. Has to be in the original design unless you're willing to do a lot of work.
    Have fun.

4. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

I use ones connected to the main entrance panel. I used to have trouble with surges killing my Leviton DHC dimmers and since I installed one I haven't had a problem which has been probably 10 years now. I used to loose 2-3 per season. But it doesn't hurt to get the protector as close to equipment as possible also. Induced current can be huge. I've seen sparks from induced currents during lightning storms in houses with just exposed wiring, no outlets.