Power plug wiring for SBE SB1-LA same as SB2-LA?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by W5SU, Oct 24, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. W5SU

W5SU Ham Member QRZ Page

I just acquired an SBE SB1-LA linear amp.
    I'm having difficulty finding a manual or schematic for the SB1-LA, although they are fairly abundant for the SB2-LA.

I need to wire a power plug for it and would like to think the pin-outs are the same as for the SB2-LA, but want to be certain before I put the smoke to it.

Can somebody out there verify that? Any chance someone has a manual for the SB1-LA?

Many thanks and '73!
    Carl - W5SU
    Dallas TX

2. WA2CWA

WA2CWA Ham Member QRZ Page

3. W1QJ

W1QJ Ham Member QRZ Page

What seems to be the problem? Line cords in the USA if they are original should have three wires. Black, white,green. “ if” the amplifier is already set for either 120 or 240 operation and you know which it is set for, wiring the plug simply follows the USA standard. Green is always ground White is neutral and black is hot. That would be for 120v. For 240, green is ground, black is hot, white is hot. There’s no question about it. The question is if you know if the amp is strapped internally the way you’ll apply voltage either 120 or 240. Do you know which way it’s set internally?

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Do you mean the 9-pin plug wiring at the rear panel, or the AC line plug that goes to a wall outlet?

As I recall, both the SB-1LA and SB-2LA used an AC power cord with a 9-pin socket at the "amplifier end."

I never owned an SB-1LA but IIRC the 2LA was just repackaged but the same circuit; if so, Pins 1 and 2 are AC input (120V from power line); pins 2-3 are jumpered together; pins 4-5 are jumpered together; pin 8 is chassis ground; and pin 9 is for "keying" with a pull-down to ground -- I think. It's been a long time since I had one, but I did service one a couple of years ago, and that refreshed my memory somewhat. The rig only had a 2-wire AC power cord.:p

5. WA2CWA

WA2CWA Ham Member QRZ Page

I pulled this down off the web. Not great but mostly readable.

sbe-acPlug.jpg