Power line filter?

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by KJ6ZOL, Oct 1, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: Subscribe
ad: K3QNTad-1
ad: L-rfparts
  1. K6GB

K6GB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Solar City is the sister company of Tesla Motors. I'm fortunate, my solar system is inaudible on hf, but I put it in the contract. I have my station hooked into a Monster Cable power filter I won by answering the right question at an RS managers meeting, they are not cheap, but filters the whole damn house.

2. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

Well it sure sounds like conducted noise rather than radiated noise.

Consider removing the line filter from a computer power supply and running just your rig on it.

73 de Jim, N2EY

3. KJ6ZOL

KJ6ZOL Ham Member QRZ Page

I got back from Wal Mart an hour ago with a brand new 12v riding lawn mower battery. I'm simply gonna run my rig directly off that battery while I ponder what to do next. I'm a casual ham, I don't do contesting and I listen more than talk. That battery should be fine for a while. And yes I have a charger.

4. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

You might wanna charge that battery fully before use, you don't know how long it's been sitting around.

5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Does running the rig on a battery reduce the noise?

If it does, that's pretty good.

Usually, it won't since the "source" of the noise remains.

Let us know.

6. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

7. KJ6ZOL

Well, it turns out that all of us were right. I hooked the rig to the battery and the noise dropped from S7 to S4. Then I remembered that the guy who sold me the antenna-an old Hustler 4BTV-also gave me what he said was a homemade RF choke. It's a round thing about 6 inches in diameter wrapped in tons of electrical tape with RG8 cables sticking out of it. At the time I didn't think I'd need it so I stashed it in the garage. So I remembered that he said that the Hustler was really sensitive to power line RFI. So I installed the choke, and the noise went away.

KG7SWP likes this.
  8. KM1H

KM1H Subscriber QRZ Page

I learned my lesson about snap/clamp on ferrites in the 80's and never again. Toroids are not only more effective but much cheaper. Over the years Ive probably added a few hundred pounds of ferrites in the house, garage, at antennas, and am virtually noise free.

Carl

9. KJ6ZOL

Carl, where do you get your toroids? I've been looking around for "number 75" toroids for a project I have in mind related to this, and NOBODY uses ferrite numbers anymore, they just say "*** ohms at 100 Mhz" which is completely useless. How do I find both toroids and rods? I will need both.

10. KM1H

KM1H Subscriber QRZ Page

Use the actual Fair Rite part # and then check the various large distributors such as Mouser, etc. http://www.fair-rite.com/
    Note that some mixes have been discontinued and replaced with another. Also some show up only under EMI products and others in general use.

Carl

K0OKS likes this.