Power for FT8

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by HB9DDS, May 22, 2021.

Tags:
?

Output Power FT8

Poll closed Jun 21, 2021.
  1. 1W

1.5%
  2. 1-10W

10.4%
  3. 10-25W

14.9%
  4. 25-50W

32.8%
  5. 50-100W

22.4%
  6. 100W and more

17.9%
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. N3RYB

N3RYB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

During those 6 to 10 attempts, you and your QSO partner are TXing while not actually getting anything done either. I just want to get the QSO cycle finished so both of us can move on to other stations. Especially if its a DX station. I don't want to waste his time with 6 to 10 repeats!

All of this said, it sure seems like you are wanting to use this question/poll as an excuse to rabble rouse against those who don't use what you consider to be the "appropriate" amount of power. You do ham radio your way and I'll do it mine :)

This has been rehashed over and over.

2. KQ8W

KQ8W Ham Member QRZ Page

When I did a little of FT8, I used 100 watts.

I never understand why anyone cares how much power others run on FT8. Does this phenomenon occur for CW too?

3. KD9VV

KD9VV Ham Member QRZ Page

That's my point and the other posters point.
    Sure, anyone can work meteor scatter on 2M with 100W, but you will not be too successful.
    MS, for those of us who chase grids, Requires high power.
    I promise you, no one is going to work 100 grids with 100W power unless they tap into NASA's global dish network.

I agree with many respondents, we should only use the power necessary to make the contact.
    For me, that may be 500mw to hit a repeater 5 miles away with a 3 ele yagi.
    It might take 8W with the rubber duck.

For me, to get the results I want with meteor scatter, I require 500-1000W on 2M and 6M.
    Satellites?..I use maybe 20 watts to a 9ele 2M LFA and a 15ele LFA.

There is nothing wrong with high power.
    The only time it is a problem is when it is abused or used unnecessarily

4. HB9DDS

HB9DDS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What's "wrong" with you? Have I hit a sore spot? ;-)

The fact is, too many radio amateurs need too much power all the time and have forgotten how to listen well. I say that after 40+ years in the air.

I didn't mean to put my ego on the line with this poll, I just wanted to know what people need for power on digital modes.

But again, it seems that many are going overboard. A little restraint for the benefit of the weaker stations would be in order. Solidarity.

5. KQ8W

KQ8W Ham Member QRZ Page

In the case of FT8, the computer is listening and is much better than us. :) There were many times when I started FT8 that 10W didn't get the QSO, but 100W did. After that, I got tired of cranking the power up and down and just left it at 100W.

How does anyone know if someone else is going overboard with power from a conversation on an Internet forum?

N3RYB likes this.
  6. N3RYB

Often times your QSO partner has a compromised antenna in a high noise/QRM environment. The noise floor has risen quite a bit over 40+ years. Sometimes the high power stations are the only stations the guys with the dipole stuck on their walls of their apartments can hear. I'm not sure who put you in charge of determining what counts as "too much power".

I'm not sure what counts in your mind as overboard. Sometimes helping out the weaker stations means swinging a beam towards them or...flipping an amplifier on.

7. KD9VV

KD9VV Ham Member QRZ Page

No, you didn’t hit a sore spot at all.
    I’ve simply grown tired of these Internet hams that believe they have the truth concerning all things ham radio.
    You don’t want to run power??..don’t.
    Just don’t come on here and dictate what YOU think is a proper level.
    Your 40+ yrs means nothing to me, nor will it sway anyone in how they choose to utilize what power they have.

“This is really nonsensical and I do not approve of it.”

News flash..your approval is not required for me and thousands of other hams to turn on their amps.

K1BQY and N3RYB like this.
  8. HB9DDS

HB9DDS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

However, your response validates my comment. . I'll spare myself further comments now. That makes no sense with you. Let's leave it.

have fun with our hobby

Over and out.

9. N3RYB

Basically, you were trolling. Got it.

K1BQY likes this.
  10. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's your answer:

HB9DDS likes this.