ad: k1jek

Potential Clipperton DXpedition opportunity

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by KC7HF, Aug 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KC7HF

KC7HF Ham Member QRZ Page

Opportunity for DXpedition to Clipperton Island

I returned a few days ago from an incredible two week SCUBA diving/wildlife observation trip around the islands of Alaska’s Inside Passage on the Nautilus Explorer. The Nautilus is a 106 ft., 7000 mile range, 22 passenger ship that was built from the keel up for exploring and diving remote locations while providing quite luxurious accommodations and support.

On April 10-26 2007 (and probably again in 2008) the Nautilus Explorer will be making an exploratory trip to Clipperton Island. In a discussion with captain/owner Mike Lever, he was quite intrigued/positive on the possibility of supporting an on-island Dxpedition group to Clipperton. The 2007 trip shows one passenger slot still open. Fare is $4950.

I have no idea of the logistics of getting French permission for an FO0 operation, so whether a April 2007 date is practical is unsure. Since the trip is primarily a diving/nature exploration, a ‘big gun’ Dxpedition is probably impractical, but as a smaller group to activate one of the rarer countries it would probably work. Mike Lever is an extremely energetic sort; if it is possible he will try his utmost to make it happen.

Drop me an e-mail if this seems at all interesting.

Mike Chalup WA2FHF
    e-mail: mchalup@virtual.net

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.