ad: Radclub22-1

POTA's Big Announcement: NEW Parks on the Air Plaque Event

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W1DED, Feb 22, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K5TUE

K5TUE Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the link and thank you for pointing out the different styles in tailending. Two versions exist, and my comments in support of tailending were about the tailending which occurs when an operator waits for the jumble to subside and THEN tosses out his call sign in an effort to get noticed.

Yes, we all have heard operators who key down and start talking when the other guy pauses to take a breath or between thoughts, and then we have the inevitable and all-too-frequent 'DOUBLING'.

In voice QSOs I like to wait two or three seconds (sometimes up to 5 seconds when it's a station I know who takes long pauses during extended transmissions) after the other station unkeys, just to make sure he is finished, and to listen for any breaking stations.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2023
  2. K7GYB

K7GYB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank You Again!

3. K5TUE

Nice to see that the 'experts' agree with me, timing is everything:

clip.jpg

AA3C and AE0Q like this.
  4. KD8ZM

KD8ZM Ham Member QRZ Page

That's the definition I was using, too.

5. W3AAX

W3AAX Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, but I stay away from toxic threads filled with folks who only have half the information. Kevin only put it here for the folks interested, I am sure. I try and stick to our own platforms because of all the nonsense, but thanks. I'lll let the event speak for itself. I am sure for those who want to have fun with it, will be able to do so. To those who do not like it, they should be completely unaffected. If this is not the case, guess what, POTA will be fluid and make changes. That's what's great about a free hobby, so there is very little at risk here. If someone doesn't like it, I'll return their money. ;) 73 W3AAX

AE8EM, KD5PCK, KN4XJ and 2 others like this.
  6. K5TUE

Yes, I've always heard it called 'tailgating' when the next station to transmit (in a ragchew, or a contest) was too eager and keyed right before (or right as) the target station is unkeying so in this topic, for me, 'tailending' was the act of beginning your reply at the 'tailend' of the responding pileup.

I guess the terms are somewhat 'fuzzy' and interchangeable.

KD8ZM and WR2E like this.
  7. NA8Y

NA8Y Ham Member QRZ Page

POTA killed OSPOTA (Ohio State Parks on the air) for me. showed up at a park and got flooded with POTA people who wouldnt give me a serial number. It made me really mad 2 years ago. I loved OSPOTA but now I can go to ANY ohio state park ANY day with my brand new camper that we bought back in october and play radio. Contests and seeing how far I can get my laptop to transmit on weak power modes are the only thing I care about anymore. Can I get some help with making two so239 passthrus neatly through my camper walls so I can run HF and a 2m rig inside? :) Perhaps Ill make a new post and sift through the crabby people for some legit advice on how to get some cables through it properly. lol I do love the crabby people too.. You all make me smile.

K0UO, W6LEN, KD8ZM and 1 other person like this.
  8. AA3C

AA3C XML Subscriber QRZ Page

They didn't read your definition of 'tailending' which you explicitly stated.

K5TUE likes this.
  9. ON4VT

ON4VT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

And last but not least, I cannot participate as I'm kicked out of POTA as well as several other EU's ... 73 44 ON4VT aka OT4V

W6LEN likes this.
  10. KD8ZM

I never knew there had been an Ohio version of POTA.

11. N3KAE

N3KAE Ham Member QRZ Page

My 2c - I believe this is a bad decision probably pushed by a small group trying to solve yet another problem that doesn't really exist. Neither POTA nor WWFF are contest clubs. Regardless of their broader differences and similarities, they are this planet's only two Park Programs and they are enjoyed as such by many, many, Hams. By their very design neither one was ever intended for contesting because only one-half of the participants submit logs which dictates the successes and failures of the other half. That makes Activators almighty and contesting simply does not work that way. There needs to be a checksum from the other side.

KD8ZM likes this.
  12. VE7VXO

VE7VXO Ham Member QRZ Page

Roger roger...What's your vector Victor?

I live in a provincial park. So if I operate in the Stew Perry contest this weekend....does that make POTA contest? Uh oh....

KD8ZM likes this.
  13. W6LEN

W6LEN Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

There is another park activity to consider:

Make nature your shack !
    WWFF, World Wide Flora and Fauna in Amateur Radio, is encouraging to leave your shack and go outside portable operating in Protected Flora@Fauna areas (PFF) all over the world.

More than 26.000 Protected Flora@Fauna (PFF) areas, world wide are already registered in our WWFF Directory. Hunters and Activators can apply for colorful awards, globally and national.

You can find the details at https://wwff.co/

Last edited: Mar 4, 2023
    W9EBE likes this.
  14. KD8ZM

Interesting. At least in my area, seems like essentially the same activity as POTA with a different name (also far fewer parks and chasers) - what's the advantage vs. POTA?

15. W6LEN

W6LEN Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Good morning Brandon,

WWFF is truly an international activity. There WWFF park activators in over 200 DXCC countries and they are active almost 24 / 7 There are also awards from many of those countries. As an example, I am only 1 CW qso shy of the VKFF 400 CW award. Many of the WWFF chasers in the US actively pursue and collect awards from many of the DXCC countries. POTA is a spin off of WWFF and while many of the parks are the same in both activities WWFF only recognizes parks and beaches that recognize the importance of flora and fauna and avoids those locations that are just man made structures. Take a peek at the US activity of WWFF at https://wwffkff.wordpress.com/ you can take a peek at my QRZ page and see some of the awards that I have collected while chasing parks on WWFF.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2023
    KD8ZM likes this.