PotaPutter ADIF converter for POTA logfile preparation

Discussion in 'Logbooks & Logging Programs' started by KE4ET, May 28, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. KE4ET

KE4ET XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello everyone,

I have created a conversion program PotaPutter for preparing logfiles for submitting to POTA coordinators. PotaPutter takes in an ADIF (.adi) format logfile, and strips it down to just the fields which POTA uses. If a QSO is a 2fer or higher, PotaPutter splits the contact as required by POTA into multiple contacts. If the activation itself is a 2fer or higher, PotaPutter produces the required separate logfiles one per Park. All logfiles produced are named under the current POTA naming conventions for logfiles.

PotaPutter, like PyLogJam, accepts multiple POTA Park IDs per SIG_INFO or MY_SIG_INFO field in a contact. These park IDs would be comma separated, with no spaces. So while running an activation (or hunting for that matter) you could make just a single contact record for the QSO. Feed the logfile through PotaPutter sometime later, and it makes logfiles which make the POTA coordinators happy.

PotaPutter corrects some sorts of errors on the fly. It will alert the user to problems that it can't fix. It also allows lazy input for POTA Park IDs, leaving off the "-" character and not caring about capitalization. For instance k1234 and K-1234 are equally acceptible. Both will produce K-1234 in the output logfile.

PotaPutter, like PyLogJam, is written in Python 3 and released under the GPL license, so it is free. PotaPutter should be run from a comand prompt, at least the current version, or you won't see the information and any error messages produced that can point you to problems with the original logfile.

When running the program, you tell it the filepath for the input ADIF file, and give it the directory or folder path for the output. That's it. I recommend using an output path separate from where the original ADIF file is stored but that's up to you.

I've released version 0.1.0 on the Slack POTA pota-logging channel. You can grab it from there for now. If that doesn't work for you, drop me an email and I'll send you a copy.

Gerald KE4ET

2. KE4ET

PotaPutter version 0.1.1 has been released on Slack. This is a bugfix update, which handles a lot of additional issues that can occur on an input logfile. Highly suggest grabbing the latest version!

Gerald KE4ET

3. KE4ET

I've been working through test logiles that have been sent in. I released 0.1.2 earlier, and might release 0.2.0 tonight. 0.2.0 processes all the logfiles I have been sent so far.

Gerald KE4ET

4. KE4ET

I should mention, up to 0.3.0 being released. This version does not require BAND entries if FREQ entries are present.

Gerald KE4ET