POTA specific logging program - PyLogJam

Discussion in 'Logbooks & Logging Programs' started by KE4ET, Feb 17, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
  1. N1MIE

N1MIE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If you need any Mac testers I will put my name in the hat. I also have iPads/iPhones, so if those ever make it into the project I can test those too. I also have a Windows laptop but virtually never use it. (Once a year for Field Day since everyone uses N1MM.)

2. KE4ET

KE4ET XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thomas and George, you should have received the program in emails. I think we're up to 19 testers now.

Gerald KE4ET

3. KE4ET

PyLogJam 0.6.0 no longer requires the operator to be in a Park. Entering Park(s) is optional, and MY_SIG and MY_SIGINFO fields will not be logged if the operator does not have a park. This makes PyLogJam usable for general logging rather than only for POTA.

Gerald KE4ET

KI4POT likes this.
  4. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

That's awesome. I'll be able to use it for SOTA now. Could one use the P2P field for Summit to Summit contacts (would need to log the remote summit just like the remote park in a P2P) if a park isn't entered in the Park field?

Chris

5. KE4ET

I have never done SOTA - can you or someone link me to a document describing the identification of the peaks? I do not know the format requirements; nor do I know what the required ADIF log fields would be.

With the current version, if it doesn't look like a POTA park ID, it ends up in the Notes field. If SOTA IDs are distinct in format so I can specifically identify them, then parhaps I can do something without changing the current interface.

Ditto for IOTA. I haven't looked into their formats either. So I could use definitive information for both.

Gerald KE4ET

6. KE4ET

Unrelated question - is it possible to change the title of a thread? Since the upcoming 0.6.0 versionn won't require a park to activate, the logger is no longer only for POTA but it is definitely focused on that sort of operation and optimized for it. I'd like to remove "specific" from the title at least!

7. KI4POT

I'll see what I can dig up for SOTA. I do know the format is typically W4V/SH-030 where the W4V portion is the regional identifier (W4V being Virginia), the two characters after the "/" are the region within the state (VA has 4 I think), and the 3 digit number after the "-" is the specific summit number. So, W4V/SH-030 is in VA, specifically in the Shenandoah region, and is summit 30 (Blue Mtn at the Thompson WMA specifically).

I've never used ADIF for SOTA (pen and paper logger here, which is easy when a big activation might be 20 contacts). I'll see what I can find.

Chris

8. KE4ET

Thanks Chris!

One problem is with the ADIF format spec itself. There is only one SIG field and one MY_SIG field. So although a person can operate at a summit in a park, one can't report it as both within an ADIF file. For all that can go into an ADIF file, some of the basics just don't work. Heck, a really bad case would be something like a peak of a mountain on a park on an island. You get to pick which of the three you want to report in a contact. or make lots of nearly duplicate contacts and choke things like LoTW. The current hodge-podge scheme is not very good.

Gerald

9. KI4POT

There isn't a published ADIF standard I can find for SOTA. There is one for CSV submission, but I don't know if one could translate that to ADIF since the fields are named differently.
    Also, the summit/association naming standards are all over the place.
    Summit Naming Standard: https://www.sota.org.uk/Associations
    CSV Standard: https://www.sotadata.org.uk/en/upload/activator/csv/info

Regarding activating multiple programs at once, I would go with the one that has the most stringent requirements (POTA needs more contacts than SOTA for example) and log to that standard, then manually edit the file for the other submissions. If I logged for POTA, then I would only need to change the Park Reference to a Summit Reference (assuming the ADIF is compatible with SOTA, which remains to be seen).

Chris

10. KE4ET

I'm looking at potentially adding support for the Canadian Band Plan which is at least pretty similar to the US plan. That is if there seems to be interest in Canada. It seems like POTA is increasing in Canada as it is in the US, and Canada certainly has a lot of parks! I'll support our Northern friends if they are interested.

Gerald