POTA operators, what radio?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N0WBA, Feb 24, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
  1. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

*Channeling my internal grumpy old ham*

I understand SOTA, IOTA, but POTA? They are all portable! of you're operating portable, just say portable!

Now, get off my lawn and operate portable somewhere else!

2. N9RVB

N9RVB Ham Member QRZ Page

Parks on the Air
    parksontheair.com

n9rvb

3. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Ahhhh.... You may remain on my lawn.

KC1OCA likes this.
  4. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

PARKS, OM, parks. Now, let's head for the early-bird special at Golden Corral. :D

N3AWS likes this.
  5. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

Start with taking your existing radio camping, or go activate a Pota/wwff/sota/iota with it. Set it up on batteries, work out what you like and do not like about it in that situation and then you will have a better idea of what works for you and what you actually require. I am a lapsed portable operator, the blue box in my avatar is a uBITX, I have over 100 activation's with that radio. Its cheap, its light, its 10w, its low power requiring smaller batteries 7ah lasts a more than a few hours operating, i treat it like crap and do not care if it gets scratched or dented. It does most of what I need most of the time. For extended camping I take a Ic7300 where I have 200ah of battery in my camper trailer and 100w of solar.

KC7JNJ, WN1MB, AJ6LB and 1 other person like this.
  6. AA8NN

AA8NN Ham Member QRZ Page

I used to use a 706 but it has no filters and they are needed in some cases. I now use a ten tec scout or my ft-818. The radio is not too important starting out. Most importantly is your antenna. Build the biggest antenna you can set up.

WN1MB likes this.
  7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The Xiegu has a built-in and very fast automatic antenna tuner.

Its current drain on RX is 540 mA; on TX at full power (20W output) it's 4.2A. It runs "full power" (20W out) at all supply voltages from 14.2Vdc down to 10.8Vdc.

I don't think the "100W" rigs can do that, but I sure haven't tested all of them.

8. W0KEH

W0KEH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I always thought POTA was Pauli On The Air. Very exclusive.

9. KS2G

KS2G Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Take a look at this video of the POTA presentation at last Saturday's Ham Radio University:

And subscribe to the HRU channel -- it's free!
    ;)

10. KC2SIZ

KC2SIZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I would spend a few hundred bucks on a qrp rig that I could build myself. For example, one of these. If something happens to it, you will know how to fix it yourself; and if it gets really messed up...well, you're only out a few hundred bucks. What I would not do is take some expensive, thousand dollar radio out into the field. Leave your pricey radios at home, where they'll be (relatively) safe.

F8WBD, WN1MB and W0AZ like this.