POTA operators, what radio?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N0WBA, Feb 24, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
  1. N0WBA

N0WBA Ham Member QRZ Page

I am seriously thinking about getting a pota - camping setup and just to have another radio in case one of mine breaks down.

I like to hike so small and lightweight is a requirement plus 100w ..right now my wish list is:

yaesu 891 , yaesu 857d

icom 706? kenwood 480?

or maybe some older radio Im not aware of ? thanks

the 891 is at the top of my list at the moment

2. KC9YGN

KC9YGN Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I like the 891 a lot and seriously looked at it for a while but I was more interested in QRP and ended up with the 818 instead. The 857 is a bit more versatile because it includes VHF/UHF while the 891 is HF and 6 meters only. Alas I don't know anything about the icom or kenwood transceivers you mentioned. IMO the 891 or 857 would work pretty well for you. The the latter is considerably more expensive because it includes VHF/UHF. I think the 891 new is going for about $550 while the 857 is around $700+

N0WBA likes this.
  3. KY5U

KY5U Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Pot On The Air?

KY4GD and KA4DPO like this.
  4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

For portable ops with no commercial power available, a lower power rig that can operate with reasonably lightweight battery power might be a good idea.

That's actually why I just purchased the little Xiegu G90. It's 20W PEP output, about four times more than the FT-817ND or FT-818 etc. but still very small, lightweight, all bands/modes (except FM) and draws <4A key down at full TX power so a reasonable portable battery pack can last several hours of casual operating.

I haven't used it portable yet, but that was the intention and that's how it will be used once I become a bit more familiar with it.

5. N9RVB

N9RVB Ham Member QRZ Page

It really depends on how you plan to use it. I'm in the market for a POTA radio, also. (I did two activations w/ my ft890 before it died, and I don't want to take my new 590sg into the field). My idea of POTA is at my campsite on a picnic table or setting up a card table near my truck, not necessarily hiking to a spot. When I go hiking it's usually with my wife and she's not going to want to sit around while I try to play radio. So I'm considering either a 991A or 7300.

891 seems to be a great little radio, but if you add an external antenna tuner it's as heavy/bulky as the radios I mentioned and nearly the same cost. If you're planning well matched antenna(s) and actually want to hike with it, then a 891 might be perfect.... or an elecraft or the new icom might be good options also.

n9rvb

6. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

If you will hike, forget about 100W. The best choice is Yaesu 817/818 or Elekraft KX-2/KX-3 due to battery power limitation.

857/991/706/7100 etc. are good if you have at least car battery or generator

HA2ZB and WZ7U like this.
  7. W9FL

W9FL Ham Member QRZ Page

I use an Icom IC-7300 for picnic table operation. It is surprisingly light weight and fairly small, with a built in tuner. It also is lower power consumption on receive, (if you plan to use a battery).

I have the Portable Zero side brackets installed for protection: https://portablezero.com/icom706.html

I was using an Icom Ic-7200, but it is somewhat heavy, and I needed to bring a tuner with it. Before that I used an IC-706 IIG, but requires a tuner also.

8. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

FT857 draws very little on receive. TX current of course varies with power level. I used a motorcyle battery - small and relatively light - and operated several hours with no power drop.

9. KY7K

KY7K Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The IC-7300 and FT-857 both run ~1.0A on RX
    The Ft-817/KX3 class radios run 250-500mA on RX which make a big difference when running on battery.

10. K1VW

K1VW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Another one for consideration... Icom IC-7100 if you are interested in doing any digital modes, because it has the USB sound card built in, no need for an added Signal link or equivalent. FT891 has a USB for CAT but not audio. That was the difference which sold me because I use that a lot. I bought it as my "portable" unit, but that doesn't mean backpacking to me. I take it from home to camp (seasonal house), and to the picnic table. I haven't lugged it up any mountains yet, but I bought it with the idea that I CAN, and I probably will take it on some short hikes. Not ultra light, but no worse than my DSLR and a couple of quality lenses and I lug that.

I can't comment on the other radios you listed because I haven't used them, but I am pleasantly surprised by the DSP filtering and noise reduction with the IC7100.