ad: Momobeam-1

POTA in a hunting area during hunting season...

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K0BJJ, Oct 21, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K0BJJ

K0BJJ Ham Member QRZ Page

This Parks On the Air Activation got a little more exciting when I started to hear gunfire. Stop on by, and see what happened.

2. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Technical point: 1. NVIS propagation mode is not normally effective on 20m. 10 Mhz and lower are typical effective frequencies. 2. Optimum height for vertical take off angles for a dipole is typically around 0.15 wavelength. Ground absorption losses increase below that height and would be quite large for an antenna only two feet high.

Australia Meterology Space Weather Services, near real time F2 (NVIS) prediction map:
    https://www.sws.bom.gov.au/HF_Systems/6/5

Nice to see field operations on a beautiful fall day! cheers, b.

AI5DD, K8BZ, N0TZU and 2 others like this.
  3. K0BJJ

K0BJJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I did not know that about the NVIS. Thank you for that information, and explains when I used it this week on 40ms it worked. Thank you for the support and comment!

N4FZ and KA0HCP like this.
  4. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It’s a really, REALLY good idea to wear a bright blaze orange vest and hat for safety in the backcountry during hunting season. This is especially true in areas that tend to concentrate hunters, such as a designated wildlife hunting area. Unfortunately there are some idiots out there who shoot first and identify the target later (and I say this as a hunter myself).

A tie dyed T-shirt gets retro style points but doesn’t cut it for safety, LOL!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
    N3RYB, N4FZ, K8XG and 7 others like this.
  5. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I would definitely wear your best whacker bright orange glow vest in a hunting area. And try not to look like a deer.:D

W4KJG, N3RYB, W5ESE and 4 others like this.
  6. KE4ET

KE4ET XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've stayed in parking areas by roads when it is hunting season, or more preferrably, go places where hunting is not allowed. Even then be cautious there may be poachers.

W5ESE likes this.
  7. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah. "Poached ham" doesn't sound all that appetizing.:(:rolleyes:

KE0NSK, KA3CTQ, KV6O and 1 other person like this.
  8. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

What do people generally think happens in a Wildlife Management Area during hunting season??? Even if you are not a hunter one needs to recognize that's what happens in a WMA and take responsibility to know when hunting seasons are when planning to travel to one. IMHO - It's best to stay away from the WMAs for your own safety and as a courtesy because you are doing something well outside of the primary activity at that time and will most likely be seen as a nuisance to hunters by having one more person talking and making noise. Stick to the state parks and other qualifying sites for your activations during hunting seasons and let the hunters enjoy their short time in the fields and woods of the WMAs

W9FL, W4HWD, N1VAU and 9 others like this.
  9. W4HWD

W4HWD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't know if you were on game lands or near game lands, you didn't say and, no, I didn't watch your video. In most places being on gamelands is not only dangerously stupid, it's also illegal if you're not actively hunting, i.e., no camping, foraging for galax, playing radio...only hunting, and for reasons that should be obvious. Orange hats and/or vests are always required during rifle season. Now if you're near or next to gamelands be careful, as "buck fever" will set in and some hunters will take the shot without regard to what's beyond the target; a centerfire rifle round is lethal well past a distance of one mile, and homeowners near gamelands have occasionally found bullet holes in their houses and vehicles.

I mentioned foraging for galax because about a decade ago, a guy was killed here by a hunter doing exactly that. He was on all four's, rummaging around in the brush on gamelands, during rifle season, no orange vest or hat, no nothing. Hunter saw the movement in the bushes and shot at it without first identifying the cause of the movement. Hunter got a lifetime hunting ban, the guy doing the foraging got dead.

N4CKC and (deleted member) like this.
  10. W4HWD

W4HWD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If you are in fact, doing as your title suggests "POTA in a hunting area during hunting season", well...as comedian Ron White said "you can't fix stupid". At least you can film it and put it online so others will know what NOT to do.

AG5CK, KU4X, WA1UIL and 6 others like this.