Postings

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by KB1LQC, Oct 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KB1LQC

KB1LQC Guest

Hey all,
    OK just to set the record straight i will make the following statements about this post. THis is NOT a hate post or spam or what not, these are my feelings about the youth forum.

Lately after going through the postings on this forum i've come to a conclusion. The thing that bothers me the most is the appropriateness of who posts here. Now I am not saying that ONLY youths can post or view, anyone is welcome but there has to be a limit. This is a forum to help the youth operators find each other and connect on the radio. When a post is out there asking about...say... your other hobbies, having people who are not youths post about theirs is not very appropriate since the goal is to find out what other youth hobbies are.

Things in that realm have deterred me and i would presume others from posting, tiffs have been created because of this very fact. Seriously, if I wanted to ask a question to everyone in the hobby as a general question to the community I would go to Q&A or the Talk forum. It's as simple as that.

Again, I am not directing this towards anyone specific, this is very general and I wish it to be interpreted that was as well. Just my feelings that I need to get off my chest.

Thanks for reading my $0.02
    Bryce
    KB1LQC

2. VE6WTF

VE6WTF Ham Member QRZ Page

THIS GUY IS A GENIOUS THANK YOU BUDDY

73 DE VE6WTF

3. sam924

sam924 QRZ Member

ya know, this guy's gotta point. we should open things like the hobbies forum to people other than the youth. [​IMG] good observation dude.

4. KB1LQC

KB1LQC Guest

Well what I mean in a short summary is that the forum is here so we (youths) can talk to each other. Yes, anyone can comment however once adult operators start acting like other youths and replying to posts made towards other youths it is annoying. Certianly they have all the right to post but When appropriate

I fit was a post directed towards the general community then there are other forums that are well established to handle them.

Does everyone see my point? Its more or less when appropriate. not to say that only youths should post here and in the other view Im not saying that adults cant post here. What Im saying is that with common sense as to why we post here might have just a little meaning to be directed towards other youth radio amateurs.

5. AB8MA

AB8MA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Bryce,

Well put. This is, after all, a forum with a title of Youth Forum.

Maybe not everybody will see your point, but I say that you express yourself well.

On that note, I am taking this old geezer home.

6. K7JBQ

K7JBQ Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Bryce,

After reading your post I went through the entire "hobbies" thread and could not find one thing that seemed inappropriate or out of place for this forum.

Or did I miss something (always possible)?

Bill, K7JBQ
    One of the QRZ.com moderators

7. KB1LQC

KB1LQC Guest

If you Really look at my post I defined "appropriate" as being the fact that if a youth operator wanted to ask the general amateur radio community about their other hobbies, or any other type of question, then we could go to the other forums unless the post specifically says or referes to all operators. THis forum allows us to get a concentration of youth operators and talk to them in one place.

Yes I agree that anyone can post here, but again when appropriate. lets use baseball for example:

If I wanted to talk to the community I could talk in a forum named... say "Baseball". But if I wanted to talk to other Red Sox Fans (Not a huge baseball fan but hey... everyones gotta have a little bit of faith!) I could go to a forum named "Red Sox" that is a subsidiary of the baseball forum... more specialized I guess you could say. Now, let aside any of the rivalries in the sport and we could say that A yankees fan could talk in the Red Sox forum... With rivalvies aside ( I am not saying there are rivalvries in Amateur radio... dont get me wrong here) the yankees fan has all the rights to talk, I or anyone else should not stop them.

However, that Yankees fan is not a Red Sox fan, probably does not know as much as a red sox fan does about the red sox (Where the red sox fans wouldnt know as much about the yankees as the yankees fans do...). The yankees fan does not live in red sox territory or land or whatever... and doesnt share the same experiences as the yankees fan. Again NO rivalries... I am not saying there is any connection in that way.

Do you see what I mean, Adult operators have all the right in the world to post here, I will not second guess that at all. However, this forum is here for us Youth operators to connect and share stories, experiences, hook up on the air, etc.

When I said that there was an "innapropriate" posting in the hobbies post I was talking about this belief. There is nothing vulgar or anything of that nature. But the topic is directed towards other youths... Most of the time I talk to adult operators on the air but very rarely unless scheded do I talk to other youths. So this forum is a way to find out about other youths like me, or anyone else who is a youth and whats going on with us.

Does that clear anything up? Please read the post a few times to see what I mean when I compare baseball to the forum.

Thanks
    Bryce Salmi
    KB1LQC

8. K7JBQ

K7JBQ Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Bryce,

Looking around this forum, I find that about 99% of the postings are from young hams. And that was Fred's intent.

That said, there is no sign on the door that says "You must be 18 or under to enter." And those of us charged with moderating don't check ID.

If something inappropriate is posted, please let us moderators know. But my suggestion is, if an adult sneaks in and posts something, and if your only complaint is that of the poster's age, ignore it and QSY.

73 and all best,
    Bill

9. KB1LQC

KB1LQC Guest

HIHI, Ok again, I agree with you! Here is and example:

I share the same feelings that you do on the subject!

Yup, I agree as well. I really really really want to refrane from using exact example of posts and single anyone out, but if you read what I explain carefully (I sometimes think in strange ways hihi! mabye I worded some posts in a confusing way!) and read some topics and posts anyone can see what I mean. Im really trying to clear up any confusion here that I may have put out there at all. Please, if anyone is confused on what I mean by all means ask or comment!

10. KE5FIX

KE5FIX Ham Member QRZ Page

Is my post one of them in question here?
    I apologize in advance if it is, for not introducing my self.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.