Post your miles/watt

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by N1OOQ, Aug 8, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I got you all beat...I was siting on my couch watching TV and thinking a beer would be tasty, 2 minutes latter my wife showed up with a cold brew and some pretzels! Perfect copy on zero watts. Yeah it was only about 30 ft...but power was zero watts. And anything divided by zero is infinity...ain't it? ;)

W9FTV and KD8DEY like this.
  2. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Cool. I recall now, ours was 2 GHz, Everett-Stevens Pass, WA w/ traffic dropped off halfway up at Skykomish (FDM). Our 6 GHz radio had yuuge traffic (lots more bandwidth) to North Bend, WA... about 70 miles. IIRC, the dishes were about 6' diameter (STPS) and 10' (NBND). We also had 11 GHz radios that ran 8-phase digital 90 Mb/s to Bothell (10 miles over land) and to Camano Island (26 miles, 22 miles over water). They were good for 20 miles over land, w/ yuuge dishes. Rain squalls would shoot through the Strait of Juan De Fuca off the Pacific through our signal path, and all we could do is watch while those radios failed. Now, everything except the STPS radio is gone and replaced with fiber.

3. VE6NS

VE6NS Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

2017/OCT/03 1697 mile on 0.5w Home QTH to Fairbanks AK 3394 mpw!

WA7PRC likes this.
  4. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

2014-05-25 - VK6NC (near Perth) 11,008 miles - 14029 khz CW @ 0837z.
    I was using my Heathkit HW-9 (WARC) running 4 watts out, to a 80m OCF dipole up about 20ft.
    This works out to 2,752 miles per-watt. - My best so far.

Of course this was three & a half years ago when 20m was often open all night !! :)

Steve / W5BIB

5. W4POT

W4POT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a small sample size to work with as I only have 11 QRP QSOs since I was licensed in September of this year. All have been SSB using 5 watts and a 17' vertical whip with a tuner. 1 was with an IC-7100 turned down to 5 watts, the rest were with my FT-817ND

My best is 1039.8 miles per watt when I worked a station in Italy from Florida. The average miles per watt of my QRP contacts is 449.53

I've been averaging about 3 hours a week of QRP operation from local parks but now that the weather is not so hot, I hope to double that.

6. WD0BCT

I'm impressed...I have only one SSB QRP QSOs utilizing a portable vertical (Yaesu ATAS-25). It was a lot easier with an inverted Vee but I have to say that SSB QRP is tough. Lots of "Can't quite copy the zero station".

7. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Isn't it 10 W PEP for SSB?

8. KM4DYX

KM4DYX Ham Member QRZ Page

Three years ago when I first got into the hobby and the sun was till running QRO I did a lot of SSB DX with 5 watts from my 817. This past August I still managed Slovenia and Bulgaria - 5 watts, SSB, 14 Meters. It's still doable. Still, if QRP is your "religion" then you're going to need to go digital or CW to really reach out there on a regular basis, for the next few years.

9. KD6RF

KD6RF Ham Member QRZ Page

1 milliWatt WSPR - 10 Meters - KD6RF ==> VK2KRR - Around 9000 Miles

Almost 10,000,000 Miles / Watt. (Although Miles / Watt isn't exactly a valid unit of measurement :eek: )

There are / were 2 times a year where the ionosphere on 10 M is like a freekin' mirror between Texas and VK, and you can just watch the SNR numbers climb and climb on the WSPR or other digital mode's decode window. The audible signal with an SNR of around -25 means that a CW QSO would have been possible.

Antenna here 45 ft tall x 45 ft wide Inverted-L...... Leigh's antenna I believe was a yagi and was obviously doing more than it's share of the work :D

10. WD0BCT

Evidence that those beam antennas suck all the RF energy out of the air! ;)