ad: ProAudio-1

Post your miles/watt

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by N1OOQ, Aug 8, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K6GB

K6GB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

FR4PG Reunion, 5watts on a vertical 11,435 on JT65 on 20. Best ssb was a VK5 10 watts to a mag mount on the AC condenser my RST 50 but Q5 copy both ways on 10.

2. KG4LLQ

KG4LLQ Ham Member QRZ Page

QSO with F8HKA, Bert. Distance from home QTH = 4111.6 miles, in early October 2017. I operated my Heathkit HW-8 on 20 meters with an output of 2 watts. This equals a miles-per-watt ratio of 2,555.8. He copied me 559.
    73, Ken - KG4LLQ

3. KG5THG

KG5THG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I really need to start getting into some qrp operation. It's actually a lot of fun to see what your signal does and who here's you. Just saw this thread and set my radio to measure 1 watt forward using a dent dipole on 30 meters at 10 meters high. Did a quick ft8 call out and got an answer right away at 1,045 miles (Texas to Ohio).

N1OOQ likes this.
  4. N3HEE

N3HEE Ham Member QRZ Page

You mean F6HKA. Bert is a first rate operator with a first rate station that can hear everything ! I regularly work him with 5 watts. He is doing all the heavy lifting !

Yesterday I had fun working some big Caribbean DX stations on 15 and 17 meters with 100-500 mW. Roughly 2000 miles from my MD QTH. Both bands had nice openings during the afternoon hours.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
  5. N6QIC

N6QIC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

On 10-16-2017, I got KC4AAA in Antarctica on 40 meters SSB 7210.0 from my van. With 100 watts to my G5RV Jr. antenna up 36 feet above the trees. Not QRP, but was very cool with only 100 watts.

Distance 8,555.0 miles
    Power 100 Watts

KC4AAA_Antarctica.jpg

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
  6. WD5IKX

WD5IKX Ham Member QRZ Page

My best QRP was VK5MBD Bill in Rehill SA Australia while operating 20 meters QRP 5w SSB portable from Clayton Lake SP in NE New Mexico 9005 miles which works out to 1801 miles / watt. I was using my trusty old Ten Tec Argosy-II 525D with a 20 meter 1/4 wave ground mounted vertical with 8 radials powered from a 18Ah battery.
    Needless to say I was a "happy camper"!

Argosy-II.JPG Clyton Lake SP portable.JPG

John WD5IKX

N1OOQ likes this.
  7. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

Does 4w AM to Amsterdam count? 1030Mi/Watt
    (Disclamer..Wasn't on Ham)

N1OOQ likes this.
  8. KC3JIN

KC3JIN Ham Member QRZ Page

Why just a few weeks ago I made it 65 miles to a repeater with 8W fm. So that comes to like..........eight. Miles.

Ya gotta start somewhere.

9. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

The subject is miles/watt. Yours would be 65 miles / 8 watts, or 8.125 miles/watt.

Of course antenna gain at BOTH ends of the link has an effect. Bandwidth and radio frequency works against you. You can do a lot with modest power and yuuge antenna gain. At a former TELCO employer, we had a link that ran about a watt or so at 6 GHz (about 1 MHz BW) about 65 miles... w/ 30 dB gain parabolas. There was a midpoint passive reflector. ;)

10. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Back many years ago, when I worked for the railroad, we had a 6GHz shot that was 78 miles. When I worked for the state a few years ago, we had a 6GHz shot that was 82 miles. Both systems ran one watt radios, and they were analog. But I'll bet your antennas had more than 30dB of gain for that type of path. A 6' dish has 38+ dB gain, and an 8' dish has 40+ dB of gain at 6GHz.

We currently have a digital microwave link on 2.4GHz for our UHF and VHF networks that is 82 miles long. Pretty solid, for the most part.