ad: k1jek

Post your miles/watt

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by N1OOQ, Aug 8, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Certainly not the same thing as a two way qso... but have you got a super long dx spot from RBN?
  2. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

Ohio to Czech republic. Cannot get the RBN to load here at work computer to give u mileage. 940mpw if I remember rightly.
    I'd consider mileage is mileage regardless having a 2x QRP QSO or not. My receiver's ability is not part of the rating, or is it?
    WR2E likes this.
  3. F8WBD

F8WBD Ham Member QRZ Page

About 3 years ago. From NW France to Tasmania. 1.2 watts from HW-8, low Par EF-20. Same set-up, same year to Japan. Since then, zilch.
  4. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

Can't wait for better condx.
    Make the most of it now...
    Can't stop trying.
    QRP kinda exasperating lately but around 0000UTC I've had some 2x QRP QSO's.
    Mostly New York and New England states.
  5. AC4RD

AC4RD Ham Member QRZ Page

I've worked VK and ZL from the eastern USA, 10 and 12 meters, with an 817 and a gel-cell, sitting in a lawn chair in my back yard with a cold barley-based beverage. :) To me, that's some of the most FUN I've ever had as a ham. :)
  6. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

With WSPR and 1mW out of the K3 transverter port I have made contacts - I'll have to see where they were, but that can be an amazing mode...

I was having a QSO with a local ham on 2M, and had my 6M antenna attached to my sig gen, I kept turning the power down and down and he was still able to hear it till he couldn't, but was able to see it on his SDR waterfall (integration time!), not a QSO, but we did the math and it was many thousands of miles per watt.

RF is fun!
  7. N6QIC

N6QIC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

From my van here in Orange California. I have talked to my friends in St George Utah and in Reno Nevada on 40 meters SSB 10 watts. There signal reports to me are usually "Lisa, you are loud".

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  8. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Austin, Texas to Chicago, on 40m CW at 500 mW. That's 1920 miles/watt.
  9. WD4ELG

WD4ELG Ham Member QRZ Page

Excellent thread.

I am with AC4RD, that's how its done!

Although it's not "cheating," use of high gain antennas should really be considered here, as the EIRP is what really matters.

Sure, I have some good ones with my hex beam on higher bands when prop was good (3-4 dB over a dipole):
    • 500 mW, 4O3Aon 20 CW (4995 miles per watt)
    • 1 watt, KH7y on 17 CW
    More fun and challenging are wire antennas:
    • VK4DHF long path (14,547 miles) on a low dipole on 20 CW with 5 watts (2900 miles per watt). I was the only one who heard him and he was 599 for 5 minutes calling CQ. Equidistant from the grayline and just the right conditions. Multiple hops, which certainly factors into the complexity.
    Even more fun and challenging are the low bands:
    • 500 mW with a dipole on 40 CW: HA8RM, PV8ADI
    And even more fun are the 5 watt QSO's to EU on an inverted L on 80 meters (several), which have to deal with the noise and fading on the band.

And most interesting was a 500 mW QSO on 20 CW from the car using a hamstick to VP5. Certainly the 1120 miles to VP5 for that one had some LOSS with the antenna... 2240 miles per watt but EIRP was probably no more than 250 mW at the MOST (3 dB loss).

And it's not a QSO, but still had some neat WSPR results
    • 100 milliwats to IK7ZVJ on 15 meters
    • 100 milliwatts to VK2ZMT on 10 meters
    • 100 milliwatts to VK7BO on 10 meters
    • 100 milliwatts to my antipode, VK6XT on 20 meters, 115,018 miles per watt
    • 50 milliwatts to VK3WE (twice) on 30 meters end-fed, 206,410 miles per watt
    • 10 milliwatts to W6YQ on 20 meters, 219,500 miles per watt
    (these low power output measurements were done with a WN-2 wattmeter using the QRP sensor).

Also, did some QRSS modes (not a QSO) where my CW signal was "seen" many times 2500 miles away with 50 milliwatts.

In fact, I turned off my Flex and fired up the FT817ND on 40 and just worked TI5/N3KS on my dipole with 1 watt. Makes a routine Saturday night on 40 a lot more challenging.
  10. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

Another 10ghz qrp qso here.

.005 watts/40 miles

8000 miles per watt, but the signals were almost pinning the s meter, I estimate at least 40 DB out of the noise.

Gunnplexers, 150khz FM bandwidth, 17dbi horn on one end and a 2ft diameter dish on the other end, estimated gain around 30dbi.

This was a true line of sight (optical) path.