ad: k1jek

Post your miles/watt

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by N1OOQ, Aug 8, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok, so I'm doing a little QRP now that I have my QRP wattmeter working.

Worked AC8RG in OH, from NH... 673 miles, 135 miles/watt.
    I'm sure some of you can beat this easily!

Who needs sunspots?

N6QIC likes this.
  2. KM4DYX

KM4DYX Ham Member QRZ Page

OK, I'll play...my farthest QSO was with VK6OX, 11,550 miles, 2.5 watts JT65, 4620 miles per watt.

W5BIB likes this.
  3. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

I was absolutely amazed when Wolf DK7OB came back to me when I called him with 700 MILLIwatts! I still am amazed... 3869 miles...

4. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My personal best was in the 10 GIGHERTZ contest where I was running a Gunnplexer rig on Mt Soledad in la jolla. I worked a station in Baldwin hills up in LA. Distance is about 125 miles. I was running a 10 MILLIWATT rig.
    so that is 125miles at 10mW..

5. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Gonna be tough to beat this guy:

Amateur Radio Set New World Record, 13 Million Miles per Watt:
    from The Beacon Tribune on January 4, 2005
    View comments about this article!

Amateur Radio Set New World Record, 13 Million Miles per Watt:
    January 2, 2005 – New London, NC

Bill Tippett, W4ZV, of New London, NC correctly copied code word OMAHA from the N2XE beacon transmitting with a peak carrier power of .0000406 watts at 3.5455 MHz on the 80 meter Amateur Radio band. Bill confirmed reception of the beacon at 2328Z, January 2, 2005. The precise distance between the two stations is 546.8 miles, establishing Bill's record reception distance at 13,467,980 miles per watt. Tippett used a Ten Tec Orion Transceiver with a 1000 foot Beverage antenna (named after Dr. Harold Beverage who invented it in the 1920s).

The N2XE beacon transmits from an Elecraft K1 (heavily attenuated) using an 80 meter off-center fed dipole, 45 feet AGL (above ground level). The beacon peak carrier output was measured using an Agilent 8563EC Spectrum Analyzer at 40.6 uW (40 millionths of a watt). The beacon transmits a unique code word each evening. Receiving stations are required to correctly copy the code word in their report. The word is published the following morning.

The N2XE Beacon Project was started in December, 2004 by Paul Stroud, AA4XX, Raleigh, NC and John Ceccherelli, N2XE, Wappingers Falls, NY with the goal of having a little fun and to go where no diminutive signal has gone before. Beacon times and frequencies are posted daily on the QRP-L reflector www.kkn.net/archives/html/QRP-L. Tests will continue on 160, 80 and 40 meters through the end of February 2005.

Commenting on his remarkable success, Bill said "I've spent 25 years on 80 & 160 listening to below noise level signals. There are at least three factors to this stuff: Antennas with good signal to noise like Beverages, a good receiver and the knowledge to use it and an operator with good ears and knowledge of propagation--not to mention patience and persistence."

Beacon station operator John Ceccherelli, N2XE, seemed more exited than Tippett about the achievement, even though it requires almost no effort on his part. "Hey, I have to flip the switch, grab a beer and go watch TV—that’s effort" he's reported saying, adding “I’m thrilled the record was set by an all-American team using all-American equipment.” The Ten Tec receiver is manufactured in Severville, TN and the Elecraft transmitter is produced in California and offered as a kit.

Dave
    W7UUU

WA7PRC likes this.
  6. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Can you hear me now? ;)

7. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

That's freaky amazin'!

I've copied W0ERE beacon on 30 meters running 8 milliwatts. 1059 miles.

8. K6GB

K6GB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Reunion, 7 watts.

9. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

125mi/10mW = 12500mi/W.
    1059 mi/8mW = 132375mi/W.

Yes, the signals didn't travel that far but, the subject of the thread implies that you'd convert to the same units. ;)
    Frequency, propagation, and mode (bandwidth) have a lot to do with the distance.

W4KJG likes this.
  10. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I guess I was thinking reasonably recent contacts made by you, rather than world records and whatnot. Although those are interesting.