Post your Beginner Projects

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by W1VT, Jul 22, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
  1. GNUUSER

GNUUSER QRZ Member

kind of a relocation of my shack
    I purchased an old office trailer for my lawn equipment repair and the front section is being set up as my radio shack.
    I dont have much as far as radios just qrp kits i have built and various test equipment.
    Not pictured though is a good supply of components to play with.
    qrp rigs include 40 meter cricket, pixie 2, 1:1 balun, 1:4 balun, crick-key iambic paddles, straight key, dipoles, windom antenna, dummy loads, and batteries.
    test equipment includes benchtop dual trace oscope, lcr meter, 2 dmm's (1 with transistor tester) 1 vintage analog vom, home brew signal generator, qrpometer,
    logic probe, and portable oscope.

not much i know but its a slow process

Attached Files:

2. G3EDM

G3EDM Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe slightly off-topic, but about seven years ago I started experimenting with subminiature tubes. These are battery-powered and much smaller than ordinary tubes, only about an inch long. This was the first time I'd designed something myself rather than relying on ARRL designs.

It started out as a one-tube regenerative receiver, using a couple of tiny 12V batteries wired in series for the B+ (these batteries are typically found in the remote controls for garage-door openers). The tube is the bulb-shaped grey object in the top-centre of the photo.

[​IMG]

A few months later I had added (from left to right) a tuneable RF stage in front of the regenerative detector, an AF stage behind it, a push-pull AF amplier to power a speaker, and (behind the speaker and to the left) a CW audio filter. The B+ is powered by a set of rechargeable 9V batteries wired in series. The other batteries are 1.2V rechargeable D cells wired in parallel for the filaments, and AA rechargeable batteries wired in series for grid bias. It works great and I am still using it.

[​IMG]

73 de Martin, G3EDM

KK4NSF, KP4SX, AD5HR and 2 others like this.
  3. W4HAY

W4HAY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

From quite awhile back, a direct conversion receiver and 4 Watt VXO transmitter. They're fun to put on the air.
    Neophyte 1.JPG Neophyte 2.JPG QRP VXO 1.JPG QRP VXO 4.JPG

KK4NSF, AD5HR and PU2OZT like this.
  4. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

I always love a good bread-board radio! they have a certain feel and look that harkens back to our early days. Plus I really like your modular approach. Good Work

5. KB1CKT

KB1CKT Ham Member QRZ Page

Technically I shouldn't qualify as a beginner. I've got an SW80+, SW40+, SST20 next to me, that I assembled, along with a couple commercial HF rigs that I had to repair in order to use. But still: after a long time of not building anything, I finally got around to doing something. A Sudden Receiver. But rather than pick a band I used a homemade 5:1 transformer so I could listen to any frequency, using an SI5153 PLL. Little low on sensitivity, way low on selectivity! Now to get around to measuring some 4.915MHz crystals so as to build a superhet next...

sudden_receiver.PNG