Post your Beginner Projects

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by W1VT, Jul 22, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K1LKP

K1LKP Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

REMCO_KIT.jpg
    ============ LIKES HAM RADIO IS SIMPLE CW FOREVER (1).jpg

VA3TFC likes this.
  2. GNUUSER

GNUUSER QRZ Member

the power supplies from old pulse electric fence boxes made great telegraphs as long as you didnt touch the transmit wire (you could get one heck of a belt from it)
    used neon bulbs at the other end of the wire and slow morse code

ha its a wonder we didnt hurt ourselves when we were younger!

3. WA9FZB

WA9FZB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My first "build" was a 1-tube radio kit. I'm not at all sure of the brand or source, but it was a birthday present when I was 11 or 12. The tube was a 1T4, battery powered, and the receiver tuned the AM broadcast band. Much better than my old, pre-built crystal radio, fer sure!

Once I got into ham radio, I built T-R control relay systems, CW monitors and other small accessories. Since my dad also used a CB radio to dispatch his heating repair truck, I was able to tinker with his base station setup. I actually combined two CB rigs - one was a Knight-Kit C-27, which had a superb dual conversion receiver but could only put out about 2 watts at 50% modulation, the other was a Utica Town and Country, which had a terrible receiver, but put out an honest 4 watts of RF. Once I got the two of these things lashed together, I added a 25-watt AUDIO amp as a replacement modulator for the T&C. The amp ran a pair of 6L6's in P-P parallel, for vast overkill. Worked like a megabuck Demco or Browning rig.

In later years, I built an Op-amp audio filter, which I still have but no longer use. That was my most modern effort. Surface-mount components are just too much for my old eyes and hands. . .

WN1MB likes this.
  4. GNUUSER

GNUUSER QRZ Member

funny thing though a pretty young lady or a nice and shiny new radio will still turn our heads a bit:D
    i still have my old radioshack book of transistorized circuits someplace in the shack.

5. KE0ZU

KE0ZU Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree, this is a great thread, with a lot of great projects on the bench. My project isn't an old project either, but something thats nearing completion.

This is a tunable block converter that will allow you to use ANY old Pan Adapter like the ancient Heath Ham-Scans, SB-620s or similar offerings from the KenYaCom group, with any receiver regardless of it's I.F. frequency. No modifications to any Pan Adapter or receiver is needed, aside from getting the IF signal out of the radio, and Heath covered that well, years ago.

Add your receiver's I.F. frequency and the input frequency of your pan adapter together, set that frequency on the DDS module, and you're up and running.

The Attenuator will help keep the input level to the NE-602/612, and your Pan Adapter within normal input levels. This configuration will handle input levels up to a Volt or so without the input clamping diodes. The output buffer will drive a 50 Ohm load to about +3 dBm, far more signal than any Pan Adapter needs. I set mine up to accommodate 4 receiver inputs, hence the row of four extra relays and extra connectors along the left edge.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
    WN1MB likes this.
  6. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

CHIP-TOCK Project by Alex F. Burr (Dallas, TX)
    Elementary Electronics magazine, July/August 1976 issue, Page 45
    https://worldradiohistory.com/Archi...cs/1970/Elementary-Electronics-1976-07-08.pdf
    Used the popular National Electronics “MM” series of Clock Chips and
    Fairchild FND-70 common cathode 7-segment LEDs for Display.

PC Board was a slight rework of the OptoElectronics Clock Kit, introduced in 1975.
    Debo Electronics in Ohio eventually bought the Rights to the OptoElectronics Clock Kit.

National MM5314N, 24-pin (data sheet, attached)

For the past 25 years,
    Jack at ElectronicsUSA sold digital clock kits based on the National Clock Chips.
    http://electronicsusa.com/indexm.html
    Electronics USA MM5314N clock kit
    http://electronicsusa.com/ck1.html

Electronics USA still sells this discontinued National Clock Chip, now $20.00 each.
    https://electronicsusa.ecrater.com/p/16717524/national-mm5314n-digital-clock-chip

Attached Files:

W1VT likes this.
  7. W0RIO

W0RIO Ham Member QRZ Page

This is a fun thread.
    Here are two versions of the Tuna Tin Two that were built by my buddy Mat (WB0WLE, now SK) and
    me while in Jr. High School. We had QSOs with them between our houses, which were about a mile away.
    These were far from our first projects, but a lot of fun. Kudos to the QST authors for figuring out how to turn
    a Radio Shack choke into RF coils. We also built the matching receiver, which never worked as well. Does anyone
    remember the name of the receiver?

The oldest project I remember doing was around age 5-7 when I strung whatever pieces of wire (and even coat hangers) in series and managed
    to remotely light up a bulb on one end with a battery on the other end. Primitive telegraph device.

TunaTin2x2.jpg

There seems to be a sub-thread about things that go "click", here are two versions of clothes pin match guns that would concern
    most adults, you could cock the spring and stick a strike-anywhere match head into the opening. When fired, it would send a flaming projectile
    up to 20' or so. Great fun for a Jr. High School student ;-)
    You could call the miniature version a "sawed-off match gun".

MatchGuns.jpg

8. AD5HR

AD5HR Ham Member QRZ Page

Wasn't the receiver called the "Herring Aid" ?
    I remember the match guns, hadn't seen one
    in nearly 60 years!

9. W0RIO

W0RIO Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, that was it. I built a miniature version of the Herring Aid to match my Tuna Tin Two, but I don't think I ever made it work due
    to a lack of space in the can. Another project for the bucket list.

Google found a newer version (2014) of the Herring Aid by the NORCAL guys,
    it can be built with parts that are available today:
    http://www.njqrp.club/tuna/herring_text.html

AD5HR likes this.
  10. F2DC

F2DC Ham Member QRZ Page

My first radio was a galena receiver and the second a regenerative 2 tubes one (3S4, 1T4) powered by 2 batteries. Its parts were put in a box and stored in an attic for more than 50 years ago.
    If you are interested in its story have a look at my Web page :
    http://roland.cordesses.free.fr/oldRegenRX.html
    73 de Roland F2DC