ad: vanity

Post Calls and E-mails that Scammers are using.

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by KD5JBN, Feb 1, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. K0BT

K0BT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Scammer using name and call of Charles Depover, W9CAD.
    charlesw9cad@gmail.com
    They even provided a phone number - 309 795 6600

2. KG4WCQ

KG4WCQ Ham Member QRZ Page

3. W9XRT

W9XRT Subscriber QRZ Page

WARNING
    CHARLES A DEPOVER -- W9CAD

Uses phone +1 309 795 6600

Responded to my wanted listing but will not answer the phone - just playing games.

4. VA3XMR

VA3XMR Ham Member QRZ Page

A scammer claiming to be NM8T Steven White has been sending unsolicited emails, claiming to have what you just happened to be looking at on QRZ.

Uses CLEARLY photoshopped images. Using email stevennm8t@gmail.com which is NOT on the real NM8T's page. See the other thread nearby for my email exchange with him.

5. VK3VSW

VK3VSW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Guys,

I have an update here..... I got a refund today from Eilleen Woodward Hollydog38@sky.com via paypal.
    Yes I could hardly beleive my eyes....... for the full amount.
    No accompanied email from paypal informing of the payment... it just appeared.
    Confused?
    Best 73 de VK3VSW
    Australia.

K2HAT likes this.
  6. N5LB

N5LB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Just got this minutes ago from W9CAD with the 309 area code. One of the usual suspects. charlesw9cad@gmail.com

"This is a direct mail regarding the ICOM 2720 which I had

and obviously found out you were in need of.

Contact me if still interested either by mail charlesw9cad@gmail.com

or call/text +1 309 795 6600"

7. WB0MPB

WB0MPB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Did you call to see who answered?
    John, WB0MPB

8. KN7S

KN7S Swapmeet Moderator Emeritus Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, you can't really determine if it is a scam or not. He is not on our radar.

If it is something you are looking for, demand pictures with his call sign in the picture. If you get some, look to make sure that they are NOT digitally induced into the picture. Not too hard to spot most times. Check his terms of payment. If he wants PayPal Family and Friends, Western Union or a direct bank transfer, run the Hell away!

N6GLH likes this.
  9. N5LB

N5LB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I did not call because the ad was really me selling the 2720 NOT as the e-mail implies that I wanted to buy one. The word pattern, sentence structure plus the fact that this call has been associated with a prior scam attempt (read the prior material on this thread) led me to determine that this is a scammer. Further, the area code is not in WI where the real call is shown to be located on QRZ. The FCC ULS dB shows Juneau, WI 53039 as the actual city for the call. The call is active and good until 2022.

Could some of these poorly written and thought out responses be the output of a robot that reads and replies many times with a small percentage success rate?

If it walks like a duck...etc and I add, profiles like a duck......

Anyway, beware, or not. caveat emptor as Wayne G would say.

10. K6ZLY

K6ZLY Ham Member QRZ Page

dale3nba@gmail.com, N3bnadales@gmail.com, Robin Wilson of Summersville WV, Jessica Holsen using an outlook.com email
    Paypal is looking into things and froze the Holsen account.