Post a picture that you took today!

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Life' started by W7UUU, Aug 28, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W5INC

W5INC Ham Member QRZ Page

Great looking rig you have there K2WH, I'm guessing it to be a Hatteras vessel with the big H on the side? Looks like in the 56' range, sure make for a great tuna boat as I am sure you know. I was on a newer Feadship vessel a while back that was over the 100' mark and it did have 2 Rolls Royce gas turbine engines as power plants. Fuel capacity was right around 30K and fresh water about 25K. You could go any where in the World in this guy and was like a palace on the waves. Would be a great play toy to have but I stick to renting them, if I ever get the urge to go out in a very nice boat and fish for tuna for a day or 2. :)

2. W5INC

Never know what you might learn here on the Zed, never seen a record cutting machine before. Looks like you are the master of the vinyl then! The hi fi junkie I know, swears that the stylus arm on a turn table is supposed to be anally retentive straight to get the right sound out of a piece of vinyl. He says a curved stylus arm was invented to wear the vinyl out quicker so you would have to buy the record over again. Don't know if this another urban legend or not and it looks like you are the person in the know on this subject. :)

3. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Hi Michael, I'm just the "last man standing" in these parts. There are about 300 of these lathes left and about 50 of them are working well (regularly maintained). Records are back and all of a sudden, I'm swamped with repair work because people in the Biz know me from years (decades now) ago when analog was King.
    I'm not going to dispute your friends findings about the straight vs curved tonearm controversy... other than to say that the curve is all about minimizing the tangental angle error as the arm moves in towards the center of the disc.
    [​IMG]
    I'm glad you posted because I thought I ruined Dave's nice thread with that four letter word... WORK.

My lovely wife took the girls out for fun while I was busy.
    Eileen.jpg
    Vivian.JPG

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
    YF8RQN, MI0YLT, KB2KZT and 7 others like this.
  4. W5INC

TNX for the answer & keep up the great work Mr. Chris on the record cutting machines, real craftsman are a dying breed. I hope you stay busy as a bee and make good money for your labors. Vinyl is making a comeback as you stated, no telling what a good master cut piece or just a good piece of vinyl goes for these days. Maybe you can give me an idea on prices, as I really have no clue. Is there any difference in the vinyls of today's makeup, giving it better sound quality then the older pieces? Good looking crew you have there also, you are indeed a rich man. ;)

W7JZE and KC8VWM like this.
  5. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm going to cheat and post one I took yesterday, just because it's radio-related:

[​IMG]

A local TV station recently donated an old news truck to our local radio club. The TV station got a tax write-off, and the club got a nice portable antenna mast and radio platform. Yesterday, we used the truck for the first time on a public service event, providing communications support for an organized charity mountain bike ride. We deployed the truck at the start/finish line, a location deep in a valley with no cell phone coverage. The mast's elevation was helpful in getting us into one of our repeaters on the other side of a couple of ridges.

The truck isn't yet outfitted ideally for the club's purposes. Of course, different members have been drooling over things and thinking of different ways to equip the vehicle. In addition to that obvious mast, it has a nice relay rack that used to house video production/editing equipment, a generator to produce 120VAC, a sizable deep-cycle battery for 12V, chargers and inverters to produce 120VAC from 12VDC and vice-versa depending on needs, and a small amount of desk space and working space inside the truck.

I'm not sure how it's going to end up being used, but I believe we'll at least give it the ability to operate UHF/VHF radios from tables set up outside the truck, so that the radio operator can interact with people a little more easily instead of being back in a "cave" (though depending on circumstances, sometimes putting the radio operator inside the truck may be preferred, so we'll keep that ability, too).

As much as anything, I think this truck may be a public outreach advertising vehicle for the club. We rarely need a mast that's so high just for the purpose of hitting a local repeater, though with our terrain, it's often useful. But even when not strictly required, it's a nice attention getter and conversation starter. Since we're hams, we'll probably add some HF capability as well, even though we don't need it so much for our club's current schedule of public service events.

Thanks, KGO-TV!

YF8RQN, W7JZE, W4MAJ and 2 others like this.
  6. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Thanks Michael! Some say, "It's never too late for kids." Obviously, they're wrong! I had more stamina 30 years ago. :p:p Sometimes, people come up to us and tell us how nice the grandkids are. :D PM sent.

7. W9JEF

W9JEF Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Reminds me of my transmitter watch days at WJPG (now WNFL).
    Back in the early 60's, we had a 78 rpm cutter for aluminum disks.
    Some local radio spots were recorded, and also, occasional music
    by local talent. Had to make a trial cut to adjust the right depth. The
    thread was sucked up by vacuum. It gave us something profitable to
    do for the station besides recording the parameters each half hour,
    checking base currents, and switching day/night patterns.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  8. W4MAJ

W4MAJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My first harmonic stomping my butt at checkers while we were waiting for our table at Cracker Barrel.

Attached Files:

KD2ACO likes this.
  9. W5INC

You should tell the gawkers Mr. Chris, who make comments about your "grandchildren" that you have 2 more babies at the house, from your younger wife. That should surprise them even more, I reckon! ;)

10. K1TGX

K1TGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

and thank you from one of those contacts

AE5DX likes this.