Possible Scam -- Someone Posing as KO1L

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by KB3GWQ, Oct 8, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-gcopper
ad: K3QNTad-1
  1. KB3GWQ

KB3GWQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I posted in a thread about interest in regards to an Icom IC-746PRO and received an email from Michael Mariani (ko1lqrz@gmail.com)

"Hi Frank,

I've got an Icom 746 Pro that's been sitting on my shelf gathering dust for a while now.
    Never really caught the bug on this one so I've finally decided to sell it off for $600.
    If you're interested I could send you pictures.
    Thanks and 73s

Michael Mariani/ko1l
    "

I sent this in reply

"Hi Mike,

I just talked to a gentleman on qrz who is selling me one for $650 with all the goodies to go with it. I've committed to meeting him locally tomorrow. But, I am curious, your qrz profile doesn't mention the 746 and your email is not listed on qrz.com. If you are planning on selling it to another ham be sure to update your profile so the email matches with whats on their profile for swapmeet protection.

Frank /KB3GWQ"

I never received an email back and I still find it odd his email wasn't listed on qrz and the radio isn't mentioned in his profile with his list of radios. So beware. If this is legitimately Michael then I apologize, but theres an awful lot of fake emails with <callsign>qrz@gmail.com attached to them.

2. WB8ROI

WB8ROI Ham Member QRZ Page

I just got the same e mail and lost 550.00!!!!
    What do we do about this!

3. KB3GWQ

KB3GWQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't send a money order or use paypal "gifts/friends and family". Really can't repeat that on here enough. With a money order or gift/friends and family paypal you have no recourse to get your money back and the scammers know this.

4. WB8ROI

WB8ROI Ham Member QRZ Page

I just found that out..... Shame on me..... just was really looking forward to have the rig

5. KB3VWG

KB3VWG Ham Member QRZ Page

If you used a check or electronic method, see if payment can be stopped.

6. KD2MNN

KD2MNN Ham Member QRZ Page

I just got scammed by KO1L as well, with email ko1lqrz@gmail.com & phone number (413) 591-0971. My initial email looked exactly like KB3GWQ. Then he kept saying he was going to ship the radio but kept coming up with excuses why he didn't. Fortunately I paid $425 using PayPal "Pay After Delivery" feature and reported the scam to PayPal. As stated here on QRZ, do not pay using Friends & Family. I'm hoping to get my money back.

After I sent the payment via PayPal, it showed I paid to:

"Heavenly Angel's Exquisite Cleaning Service"

That's when I notified PayPal of possible fraudulent activity. But the scumbag sounded calm and convincing and said that was his company.

I wish I would have seen these posts BEFORE I got involved with him. Live & Learn!

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017 at 2:44 PM
  7. KA2FIR

KA2FIR Ham Member QRZ Page

Take the scammer's email in source form and report it to Google via spamcop.net which will result in Google canceling the scammer's email account.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017 at 5:02 PM
  8. KD2MNN

KD2MNN Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the suggestion. Also I listed the company name above ("Heavenly Angel's Exquisite Cleaning Service"), but the fraudulent PayPal email payment address was:

"rangelittia213@gmail.com"

I'll report that to Google as well.