ad: wmr-1

Possible Scam...or maybe something else

Discussion in 'Swapmeet Talk' started by KE2AA, Mar 26, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
  1. KE2AA

KE2AA Ham Member QRZ Page

This is posted for the purpose of general awareness and I hope in the correct forum.

Last Monday (3-19-'18) I purchased an IC-718 advertised for sale on this site under the callsign/member AA6EE. Initially the party posting the ad was very responsive but then after receiving my PayPal payment he/she became less so and eventually went completely silent. As of now the radio has not arrived and there have been no responses to my subsequent direct email inquiries or those via the PayPal dispute process. I also noted that the ad has disappeared from the QRZ.com swapmeet listings. Ads from AA6EE dating back to 2010 can be called up in the search function but not the one from last week. The email address for AA6EE is also now missing from the QRZ.com details page. It too was there last week but now it is also gone.

Be your own judge on this one. It could be that some disaster has befallen AA6EE and he is unable to respond. Or it could be a scam by him or someone posing as him.

2. N9LCD

N9LCD Ham Member QRZ Page

GET OFF YOUR POSTERIOR & FILE A CLAIM WITH PAYPAL!

3. N2SUB

N2SUB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It looks to me that he already has gotten off his POSTERIOR! I'm sure the op feels bad enough without insulting comments in all caps....but this is the Zed after all, so WTF, why not kick a man when he's down. Why break tradition? SMH!

N3AB likes this.
  4. KA2CDT

KA2CDT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Here is the ad Paul. It was an apparent scam. Sorry they got you. In the mean time try to update your QRZ profile page to include your valid email address.

Attached Files:

5. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

The Sunday March 18 ad was a confirmed scam. Be sure to escalate your claim with PayPal and let them know it was a scam. Good luck.

6. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

I know Duane personally, He lived about 1/4 mile from me in Ramona Ca.

I had some equipment stolen from my vehicle and had my DL number engraved inside the metal cover.

He purchased it from a local swap meet, found my DL inside the case and contacted the Sheriff's office to locate me and inquire if it was sold or stolen.

Bottom line, I have nothing but good things to say about Duane, he treated me absolutely GREAT!!!

I have an email address "!#$^"@cox.net (not sure if QRZ wants me to publicly post his address or not) that is different from the one on here, it might still be in use.

let me know if you want it.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
  7. KN7S

KN7S Senior Swapmeet Moderator Staff Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

I doubt very much that this is really Duane. Lots of very suspicious activity has occurred in his account and it was closed on the morning of March 19. This type of activity is very indicative of someone whose password was acquired.
    We are still waiting for the real AA6EE to contact QRZ to get his account straightened out and active once again.

8. KA2FIR

KA2FIR Ham Member QRZ Page

Look at the paper with the handwritten callsign. It’s signed “Bob.” That confirmed it was a scam to me. The mods see more behind the scenes, hi.