Possible keyer modes for Icom IC-705?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by F6CWA, Jul 18, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. F6CWA

F6CWA Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello

what are the possible keyer mode
    from IC705: BUG, iambic A / B,?
    73 Bert / F6CWA

KO4ESA likes this.
  2. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Have you got the manual somewhere ?
    If you bought the rig without a manual, that was your FIRST mistake.
    If you are THINKING of buying one Google a Manual, download and read it ?

AE0Q likes this.
  3. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I just pulled up the menu in my own IC-705 - it was quicker than finding the manual ;)

You have three choices: Paddle, Bug, or Straight.

I'm not an Iambic CW guy but I gather from that you only get "straight paddle no squeeze modes"

I could be wrong - but it's all in your manual. I use a Vibro-Keyer single paddle key myself so have never tried to find Iambic as an option.

What you see above in bold are the choices I see in the radio

Hope that helps,

Dave
    W7UUU

4. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Iambic A/B seems ubiquitous as an option even in cheap chinese qrp rigs. I'd be surprised if the 705 doesn't offer that.
    That said, I'm not an Iambic squeeze guy so I really don't understand the difference.

5. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

It's not in any "top menus" for CW / Keyer options however. IF it's an option, it's going to be buried.

As mentioned - I don't use "squeeze keying" so couldn't care less - just saying it's not in the top level menu choice for picking your type of key

Dave
    W7UUU

6. AE0Q

AE0Q XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If a keyer isn't specifically designed for iambic keying, then SOMETHING always happens when both paddles are closed. Either the dots override the dash or the other way around.

The IC-705 (and IC-7300) only supports Iambic B Morse keying. Found a number of discussions about this in Icom forums.
    Iambic Mode B has been the default in many radios and keyers for years. Others give you a choice of A or B. Either one seems to work fine, you get used to whatever you use.

Glenn AE0Q
    ex GM5BKC NSGA Edzell
    ex ZB2WZ NSGA Rota

7. M0LEP

M0LEP Ham Member QRZ Page

...or whichever one you first encounter. If forced to use a twin paddle, I choose A if at all possible, because I make many more mistakes with B. For preference, however, I use a single paddle, which avoids the complication altogether. ;)

8. W4CDO

W4CDO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't have the 705; however, I have the 756PROIII, 703, 7300, and 7000 and they are all type A squeeze keying. Key choices in menu are paddle, bug, or straight. Icom rigs seem to all be standard on this. I like type A best; I could never get used to type B--too many errors for me.

Jerry W4CDO