ad: k1jek

Possibility of reclaiming callsign?

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by KE4WIR, Oct 8, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. AB3TQ

AB3TQ Subscriber QRZ Page

Are you commenting on KE4WIR ? I looked it up before I crafted my comment to the situation I perceived. After reading your post, I looked it up again. Did I totally miss everything you pointed out, or are you looking at the wrong call sign?

2. KO6WB

KO6WB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Okay, the ULS doing stoopid things again. Not the first time that's happened but this time I took a snapshot of the bo-bo so I can prove I wasn't just dreaming (again:p).
    There's the proof!!!! proof positive I messed up....Oh well, back to the drawing board.
    Heavy sigh:confused:.

Have fun
    Gary

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  3. AB3TQ

AB3TQ Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't beat yourself up over it Gary. That is a good general purpose informative post. But that is exactly why I am a big fan of copy / paste.

4. KE4WIR

KE4WIR Ham Member

Thanks guys! I do appreciate the effort: the culture is what makes this group a real pleasure :)

5. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, if you previously held anything higher than a Technician, with the exception of Conditionals, you get credit for the higher level tests IF you pass the current Technician, and can prove you held the license. Personally, if Joe Blow shows up at a VE session with a photocopy of a Callbook that shows he was an Extra, but the address isn't the same and the age doesn't seem right, I would not accept it. It would not be the first time someone pretended to be someone else with the same name in order to get a back door upgrade.

6. KE4WIR

KE4WIR Ham Member

Good news: I have been able to reclaim KE4WIR. As I understand it, it costs the FCC too much to collect the vanity fee so it is now waived :)

Thanks to all that participated in the conversation. 73

7. W4RLR

W4RLR Ham Member QRZ Page

SInce it was over ten years ago that his license expired, I assume you would want him to take the Morse test as well to gain back his privileges? Since he does not have a currently valid license, he has to obtain one. The Technician ticket, once issued by the FCC in the ULS, gives him amateur privileges. ONCE HE HAS THOSE AMATEUR PRIVILEGES and not before, he can present proof of prior licensing, submit that proof with his CSCE to the appropriate VEC, and if everything checks out, he regains his privileges at the level he once had before his ticket expired. The OP did have to pass the test. No one gave him his license in a box of Cracker Jacks as you imply.

8. K3DC

K3DC Ham Member QRZ Page

The only exception to this would be someone who held an ADVANCED license- that person would get a General.