ad: AlphaRF-1

Possibilities with IC-737?

Discussion in 'Rig Control, Prop., Cluster, & Other Software' started by WW0CJ, Jun 15, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-MFJ
ad: QSOToday-1
  1. WW0CJ

WW0CJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I've owned an IC-737 for a while, but haven't been able to get on the air with it until this upcoming weekend when I'll be setting up my first HF antenna. I love the opportunity the radio will give me to get more used to making SSB contacts and getting over mic fright more, but I'm used to and love the DX capabilities of modes like FT8 and would like to continue working those from my QTH.

I'm looking at getting the xggcomms.com Digimode-4-Icom with my next paycheck. My main question is: does anyone know what CAT control options are available with this rig? Since it's an older rig, I'm not expecting too much, but I'm mainly wondering if I can change the freq. or mode, use PTT from CAT control, and/or enable the tuner. I'd be primarily using the CAT control with WSJT-X and Log4OM when it comes to SSB.

Thanks in advance for any info you guys are able to provide!

2. G4POP

G4POP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes the 737 will work with Log4OM if you use the Omnirig CAT control, see the Log4OM user guide

73 de G4POP Log4OM developer

3. N2AMG

N2AMG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Both the 737 and737A which is sitting on my shelf will use the CAT control interface to do both Mode and Frequency control. It will not do PTT thru the CAT control. For PTT you can build a one transistor PTT circuit that will interface with a serial port on your computer using the RTS output for PTT. If you make it a 2 transistor circuit you can connect the DTR line on the same serial port to do CW keying . All of the modern Logging programs will support this and work with the radio.

73 Rick N2AMG

4. WW0CJ

WW0CJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the reply, Rick! As someone new to the DIY stuff of amateur radio (hell, I'm just now building my first HF antenna myself!) do you have any guides on doing this? A YouTube video or a blog post would be great to read and look at how this would be assembled. Otherwise, I bet I could do some research and figure it out from this description. I've also got both the main manual for the 737 and the service manual, which should be of service in figuring out some of this.

CJ KO4JZT

5. N2AMG

N2AMG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sorry for not seeing this before now. Haven't had much computer time.
    Here is a link that describes the circuit I was talking about.
    https://www.soundcardpacket.org/7cableptt.aspx
    It is about half way down the page. If you don't want to build one there is quite a few commercial products made that don't cost to much money. Just do a google search for ham radio ptt products and that should return some for you.

IF you want to do some serious cw and they have a Ptt circuit also you should look at a winkey device. That takes the cw keying off the computer multimedia timers used for keying and places it into the external unit for better cw keying.

There are a couple of devices out there what will do CAT,CW and PTT all in one device. I have never purchased one as I have built my own keying circuits and a bought a cheap CAT control off ebay for $15.00 to control the cat from a serial device.

73 Rick N2AMG