ad: Halibut-1

Portable WSPR Test Kit Setup guide WSJTX on Ubuntu Linux

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by OH8STN, Jan 24, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. OH8STN

OH8STN Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello operators.
    I've just posted a new tutorial on setting up WSJT-X as a bidirectional, man-portable WSPR Beacon Test Kit. I'll use WSJT-X, a Yaesu FT-817ND, the ZLP MiniProSC, setting it all up on Ubuntu Linux. At the end of the video as I show you all how I prepare the WSPR results using the wsprnet website.

The background of this video started last year in October 2016 with a blog post discussing the need for improved antenna testing and comparisons using WSPR. The idea was to utilise both transmission and receive for WSPR testing, comparisons and validation of various antenna types and configurations. Here we are several months later, making a tutorial, setting up WSJT-X and the rest of the system.

With the popularity of WSPR and new products like the WSPRlite and the DXplorer website, WSPR-Pi, ... it's also nice to remind operators that WSPR is still possible using the gear they already have, while it's sitting idle. Your PSK, Olivia, Contestia, or FSQ system is perfectly capable of handling WSPR, JT65, JT9, or any of the other K1JT modes on WSPR-X.

I use WSPR beacons as a test tool for comparing various antennas and unique configurations. Although WSPR results are not directly comparable to other digital modes, it is still an excellent way to understand and compare the differences between antenna systems.

This is a simple guide, and like the FLDigi tutorial before it, this is also very much plug n play.

enjoy
    de OH8STN