ad: w5yi

Portable vertical hf antenna

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by W8GV, Jan 29, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. M7BIA

M7BIA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Have you thought about a Magmount and Ampro Hamsticks. I have been using them over the past two months. Here is a map of my QSOs FB_IMG_1615917045444.jpg I am based in the UK, using 10w. It will depend on what your roof is. Simple, cheap affective.

2. KC7JNJ

KC7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

just bought a 2nd ultimax dx 100

3. KC9YMH

KC9YMH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I use an Eagle ONE vertical on a tripod and am pleased with it.

4. NL7QY

NL7QY Ham Member QRZ Page

I use a G90 with an HFJ-350m Comet antenna for portable and mobile operations. I use a mag-mount when I'm in the car and I use a So239 mount clamped on the ladder on the back of my camper. The tuner in the g90 will tune the antenna on all bands. The G90 is probably the smallest full HF radio with a full auto tuner and the antenna packs up in a little tiny bag. This whole system with a small lithium battery fits in a little plastic box that I can take anywhere with me even in a backpack. I also made a small so-239 Mount that I can clamp to a picnic table when I want to sit outside and use the radio. For the picnic table set-up I use a metal tape measure clipped to the base of the antenna for a counterpoise. This is the best smallest skookum system I could come up with for all band portable 20 watt HF Communications.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
  5. N6TDG

N6TDG Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, there is Wolfrivercoils. Get one of those with the whip and you are set for 80-10. Of course you will have to get out of the easy chair to change the coil position for band changes...but the price is around $150 for a nice set up with tri-pod legs...

6. N6TDG

N6TDG Ham Member QRZ Page

The radials do not have to be long and not necessarily spread out in a "radial" pattern. So some can be guided along the side of the vehicle, etc to keep within an RV space. Callum told me about that--the maker and purveyor of the DX Commander. I have one set up semi-permanent at the qth. Probably would take about 15-20 minutes to set up once its properly built.

7. K2BKR

K2BKR Ham Member QRZ Page

I have the ultimax 100 which goes up the flag pole its 24 ft. Works very well and rolls up into a small box. You can increase dipole length if you ave the room at the cg. First time out clear across the USA. and into Europe, Not very much $ either. Just purchased an Aplha Delta HD FMJ which sets up on its own tripod. My first deployment made very good contacts in USA havent played with that as much but will this season. Happy Trails

8. K4HEW

K4HEW Ham Member QRZ Page

We are full-timers and have been using the Eagle-1 quarter wave vertical in a telescopic pole configuration. It handles the 40 m band very well and with my Icom 7300 @100 watts, I have had QSO's from many European stations as well as stations around the USA. I regularly check in with the RV Service Net on 7191 khz and routinely get asked how much power I run. I do not have any amplifiers - don't believe in them. The Eagle-1 is built and sold by W8AFX Steve Sheers and his wife in Ohio. Can't go wrong!!

9. N8SA

N8SA Ham Member QRZ Page

I use an old S9 fiberglass vertical that is 31' tall. I use a buddy bracket on the back ladder.(designed to support flag poles.) It fits perfect. I use an SGC 237 autotuner at the bottom. I ground the tuner to the frame of the motorhome through a connection at the Trailer Hitch. With the SGC tuner it gives me 6-160m. With lesser autotuners you would still get 10-80m. I worked FD on 40m and did quite well. I have a 35' Class A it is connected to. I run the coax up to the dining window and sit at the table with the rig. I run phone and FT8 mostly and this anrtenna works as well as My R7 at home on 40m. N8SA

10. N8SA

N8SA Ham Member QRZ Page

https://www.gigaparts.com/flag-pole...xfF8B0hdHLNTS-H4O4mTXvscAA497FNxoCE00QAvD_BwE