Portable/temporary antennas - what are you using?

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by KC3RN, Jun 7, 2021.

ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-BCInc
  1. K1CWB

K1CWB Ham Member QRZ Page

The Z817 has not disappointed me at all yet. It's done a pretty good job at tuning mores things than I would have expected it to so I'm happy with mine. They are quite frugal on power too. I have the same Energizer disposable lithium AA batteries in it for over a year now without replacing them. I check the batteries every so often to make there's no corrosion or leaks but that's it. I really want to test the life of rechargeable batteries in the Z817 but the current batteries just won't fail so I'm still waiting.... That being said the only advantage the Z817 has is less weight and it's slightly smaller as the tuning range seems to be about the same. If the weight of the Z100+ doesn't bother you and it's playing well with your rig I'd stick with it for now unless you already have it paired with another rig.

K7WFM, W3KW and KO4ESA like this.
  2. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

If you just feed a 40 M dipole with coax you don't need a balun and tuner at the radio end. Lower loss of twinlead only noticable, on 7 MHz, if you have to run many hundereds of ft from ant to rig.

KO4ESA likes this.
  3. WN1MB

WN1MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Have stuck with a homebrew L-network tuner, 30' counterpoise wire, and 60' radiator wire for years now. Always make contacts - some extraordinary.

Once a couple years back decided to also put up a coax fed 40 meter inverted vee when camping. It worked, but was very disappointing and more involved in installing. Quickly deemed it not worth it and went back to my old system.

N8TGQ, WD4ELG, KC3RN and 2 others like this.
  4. KC3RN

KC3RN Ham Member QRZ Page

That's fine for 40m, but I also want 30 and 20. Coax feed doesn't cut it for that. Feed a 40m dipole with coax and you get 40 and maybe 15. Feed it with twin lead and you get 40-6m. Besides, I already have the balun and the tuner. ;)

W5ESE, KO4ESA and AE0Q like this.
  5. KI5WW

KI5WW Ham Member QRZ Page

I got too lazy for portable. But when I wasn’t I used Par End fed monobanders. 100 watt models. Still drag one out if I’m changing ideas in the back yard. All are over 10 years old now and no problems.

WD4ELG likes this.
  6. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

I ended up with something similar on my 817, though the radiator was stored in a chalk line reel. With the KX2, I've tried a number of fancy (ie rube goldberg) antennas, but eventually realized a simple 54' radiator and a 17' counterpoise, both connected to a BNC post adaptor, worked better than most other options. With the KX2's ATU and those wires, I get 40m-10m. It absolutely rocks on 40m, delivering me great signal reports and geographic coverage.

I spend more time experimenting with VHF antennas now as a result.

Chris

WD4ELG, WN1MB and K7WFM like this.
  7. KC3RN

Cool idea! I'm going to give this a try.

8. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

Go for it! Just keep in mind both of us were talking about using a tuner. Your 817, as you know, doesn't have one, so you'll have to provide it.

For EFHW tuners check these out:
    Pacific Antenna SOTA Endfed Halfwave Tuner - Pacific Antenna (qrpkits.com) (I have used this one with my 817 and the wire in a chalk line reel)
    QRPGuys EFHW Antenna 40m-15m or 80m with Tuner - QRPGuys (looks to be the same as the one above, but cheaper and lighter (but not as nicely packaged).

Here is a pic of the QRPKits SOTA tuner in action:
    IMG_20200822_144822020_HDR.jpg

Chris

W4ZNG and WN1MB like this.
  9. KC3RN

Yes, I realize a tuner is necessary, and I have several. With the 817 I'll most likely use my LDG Z-100Plus or an MFJ 971 or 945.

KI4POT likes this.
  10. W5ESE

W5ESE Ham Member QRZ Page

I've used a 40m doublet fed with 300 ohm twin lead, and that works quite well. I put wire "disconnects" on the ends, so I can lengthen it to use on 80m at night. I used it with an old Emtech ZM-2 tuner, that has a balanced output.

You do want to kind of "dress" any unused length of 300 ohm twinlead; you can't just coil it up like you do with coax. Draping it over convenient limbs can work well.

G0CIQ and WD4ELG like this.