ad: M2Ant-1

Portable quad loop

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by KC3JIN, Aug 5, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. KC3JIN

KC3JIN Ham Member QRZ Page

Brady,
    Totally cool. How is it anchored, or the shape maintained?

2. KD8ZM

KD8ZM Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you, but it's a very simple setup and was easy to raise. I used the Walmart slingshot to send up a fishline into the tall trees with a lead sinker from Walmart, and then just kept pulling up successively larger diameter cords (only took a few, fishline is strong). The last cord was 1/4" steel cable which is winched up with three of those $22 Harbor Freight hand crank winches, anchored to the ground. I am afraid of heights so was not going to climb the tree like a monkey, lol. I'd say with the 600' of 12 ga.wire, 35' of 400 ohm balanced feedline, a 4:1 balun, the winches, I probably have around $200 in this.

I put this antenna up last summer when I had just started hamming, so didn't have the vast amount of knowledge that I have now (again lol). I now realize that 600' of wire is overkill for someone who has no desire to work Top Band. Also, I could have easily used lower gauge wire. But since it's already up, it's a nice loop to have.

I got curious today after reading your post and did call CQ on 30m with 1 watt, and got a reply on the first call! A nice ham near the VA/NC border (I'm in SW Ohio, so about 350 miles). Probably a fluke in these days of low sunspot numbers and summer QRN, but one can dream.

Since I have never worked ham radio in good sunspot conditions (last summer to now), I am looking forward to doing so someday if the Lord wills.

BTW I only work CW, so that also helps to get some mileage out of low wattage.

Take care and 73 my friend!
    Brady KD8ZM

KC7JNJ and KC3JIN like this.
  3. KC3JIN

KC3JIN Ham Member QRZ Page

That is an absolute Honker. 600 feet! Heck yeah you could run that QRP and get some contacts!

Alright - I'm gonna do it. 100 feet of wire's enough to get me to 10.100.. now I gotta buy a slingshot.

"But honey, I *needed* it. For, uh, EmComm."

KF7DF and KD8ZM like this.
  4. KD8ZM

KD8ZM Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep, 100' should work well. With that amount of wire, you definitely won't need steel cables or hand winches. Are you sure you don't want to make it 134' and get to 40m? 40m is awesome for QRP in winter.
    BTW, loops are very quiet antennas - one of their best properties in my opinion. Best of luck!

KB2FCV likes this.