Portable QRP?

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by N5EIT, Dec 24, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. K8PRG

K8PRG Ham Member QRZ Page

I have an MFJ-9040 (40m, 5 watt, CW only), to a MFJ 40m Hamstick, mounted to the top of a 10ft PVC pipe.
    I lean it up against something, pop open a cold one and start pounding CQ on an old Speed-X.
    I haven't been bitten by the QRP bug, but it's a fun thing to do in the back yard or out in the park.

2. N5EIT

N5EIT Ham Member QRZ Page

I have gotten rid of all my rigs except my Hendricks PFR-3B (which I did not build myself) and a few pieces of wire with a golf ball tied on the end of them... I Really Really enjoy this rig!!! Thanks Dale...
    At this very moment, I'm sitting on my back patio at 11:24 pm with some citronella candles burning and the fan going. I am using a 36 or 37 foot piece of wire running up and laying on my roof with the golf ball end thrown over the apex of my roof and hanging about 2 feet down the other side. I have around a 20 some odd foot counterpoise running across the table and out to my yard. I have power lines about 15 feet above the opposite end of my CP...(they run right over my back yard.) i loaded the PFR up with a fresh set of energizer AA's and settled in to see if I could make some Q's.
    I'm listening on 30M and a Sweden station is in QSO on 10.119.50 Mhz... I'm hearing both sides. This little rig is awesome. I'll send some CQ's out again soon, but I'm enjoying reading the mail on some DX right now. I made a Q with an Italian station about an hour ago, Simple exchange but it made the trip. I've really enjoyed simplifying my radio hobby...

Last edited: May 26, 2016
    WN1MB and W5BIB like this.