Portable QRP?

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by N5EIT, Dec 24, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
  1. N1KTJ

N1KTJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Will need to read this thread more. But am thinking portable QRP with a small netbook/ tablet to run some good JT65, or maybe some CW applications for the morse code challenged like I am. Am also thinking small antenna for inside apartments, that can be used mobile/portable/pedestrian. Wish there was more QRP development of small inside apartment antenna solutions (ceiling or wall mounted antenna, or low profile single frequency magnetic loop). Yes its hard but not impossible to work inside an apartment. Windows and wooden roofs can be permeable to RF.

2. N5EIT

N5EIT Ham Member QRZ Page

I use a Windows tablet and an MFJ 2286 portable vertical with my LD-5 almost every weekend. I use cwget and cwtype with a homebrewed interface that I got plans for off of the n3fjp website... Great setup for keyboard cw ! I could run the wsjt programs too but haven't had luck with the LD-5 in digital modes... Maybe I'm just doing it wrong, but I just can't get it to stop transmitting once I start up my software. I've followed all their advice and still no joy... Otherwise I really like the LNR precision rigs. The chameleon loop is good I've heard!!

3. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

WN1MB likes this.
  4. VK3YE

VK3YE Ham Member QRZ Page

Described in this recent video is an end-fed antenna coupler ideal for HF QRP. Along with about 20 metres of wire it allows operation on bands from 7 to 28 MHz.

I'm a big fan of manual over auto tuners because of simplicity (less to go wrong) and not needing batteries.

WN1MB and KK4NSF like this.
  5. N5EIT

N5EIT Ham Member QRZ Page

US7IGN - nice!!! I'm actually about to start selling off all of my rigs and pre-designed kits in order to pursue the route of building my own rig from scratch... Kind of like VK3YE does. I'm really going to miss some of them, but they are just collecting dust and I need the dollars. 73

WN1MB likes this.
  6. N8MRG

N8MRG Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd love to build my own transmatch, but I have no idea where you buggers find all of these parts! Is it all from Ebay? How do you know what a reputable torroid is compared to weight taped into a donut shape.

7. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Check out http://danssmallpartsandkits.net/

Good parts, fast service!

Jeff WN1MB
    Winsted CT

8. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Great minds think alike. To wit: http://alienjeff.net/radioslt.html

Jeff WN1MB
    Winsted CT

9. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

10. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

that's a nice looking bit of gear! I may have to build one for myself!