ad: w5yi

Portable QRP?

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by N5EIT, Dec 24, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. W7CJD

W7CJD Ham Member QRZ Page

I am handicapped.

I use an assisted computer.

There is no excuse to take snippets of a quote, in this part of the forum, and elsewhere in the forum before here, and say "read a book".

In one post, I gave an unfavorable opinion of ARRL books.

I have had certain forum members "flame" my posts, no matter what part of the forum, and the usual statement has become "read a book".

If you read my posts, that are not responses, I contribute to the forum.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
    WA7PRC likes this.
  2. N6MST

N6MST Ham Member QRZ Page

Aha! That might explain it. Really, not trying to be insensitive, I was just having issues. I am actually going through an online web design course at coursera.org and part of the course focuses on developing websites that are accessible for folks who use screen readers or other types of assisted machines. Interesting to have an actual interaction with someone using one!

ETA: I don't post here much but I see your posts regarding reading material, I think it is a good idea but there is simply so much material on the internet that I wonder how well a forum would handle something like that. I would think some sort of online repository would be a better choice for keeping things well organized. Either way you could possibly run into copyright issues...

3. W7CJD

W7CJD Ham Member QRZ Page

Diagnosis T.B.I.
    syntactic dysphasia

4. W0MSN

W0MSN Ham Member QRZ Page

Yaesu 817ND
    Elecraft T1
    4.5 AH NiMh battery (to get full 5 watts)
    Alpha EzMilitary antenna .... reviews here> http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/11272
    20M half wave dipole as backup.

For Me, QRP operating is a lot like fishing. Its all about being out in beautiful scenery doing something I love. Every day is a new learning experience. Never a failure. You don't need to catch fish to have fun. Truth is I don't really like fishing;) Just thought is was a good analogy.

Attached Files:

KG5IFY, KD2RON and KU4X like this.
  5. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know if it's been mentioned here yet, but if you like operating QRP portable, you should check out the National Parks On The Air event that's going on this year. Chances are, you have some qualifying location within easy driving distance.

Normally, when I operate QRP portable, it's with some kind of wire antenna, usually a dipole. But since it's winter and I don't really feel like getting out of the warm car, I've been doing some operating with my FT-817 with a hamstick on my car. Here's a writeup of one of my activations:

http://onetuberadio.com/2016/01/24/national-parks-on-the-air-saint-croix-boom-site/

Even though the antenna is basically a dummy load, I worked about 36 contacts in a half hour on CW. And yesterday, I decided to see if SSB would work. Sure enough, I worked over 50 contacts in about a half hour. I think that's more SSB QRP contacts than I've ever made prior to that time. I'm still kind of amazed.

N5EIT likes this.
  6. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Amen! An annual /P ritual for me, besides Field Day, is my tent camping vacation to the great Adirondack Mountains of upper New York State. I use my mostly trusty original Argonaut 505 (serial number 00036), MFJ-482 keyer, Brown Brothers CTL-B paddles/key, homebrew L-network ATU, and 60' EFHW/30' CP antenna system. It's always fun, especially coinciding with the September SKCC Weekend Sprintathon.

Like with fishing, sometimes the creel is full.

Sometimes it's not-so-full:

[​IMG]

Very 73,

Jeff WN1MB
    http://alienjeff.net

WA7PRC likes this.
  7. KD2RON

KD2RON Ham Member QRZ Page

Love qrp portable. Tried fishing but was afraid I might catch a fish. Only caught one and led her go. Fishing QRP is alot more fun and what I enfoy is riding my Harley to some quiet spot and setting up the rig. Experimenting is also fun.

8. AA4OO

AA4OO Ham Member QRZ Page

9. AK6Q

AK6Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Food for thought here, WINDCAMP is nothing more that the proverbial Chinese Knock Off schema.... they design NOTHING.... they COPY only.

I would have you look at Bioennopower.com as an affordable alternate.

10. KD5TTZ

KD5TTZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I am also 100% qrp/p.
    I work in the gulf and usually don't get time to play radio while I am home but I have found out that the radio works so much better while I am away at work!

Look me up on QRZ and check out the QSL card. That will explain it all.....

73's
    kd5ttz