Portable power

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by KU3X, May 26, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

I just ordered a DBPower SJS50. I am going to carry this along with me when I travel.

It does have a selectable voltage range low current power output jack. You can choose either 12, 16 or 19 volts out. If you have one, or just know the answer, "can you draw 12 volts at 2 amps regulated power off of this port?"

It looks like it would be a good unit to power most QRP radios with.

What I WILL NOT do is build a regulator package and draw off of the jumper cable jack for starting a car. Before I do something like that I'd carry along a gel cell.

Barry, KU3X
    www.ku3x.net

2. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

You own it , you have easier access to the specifications then we do ?

3. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

In my post I said, "I just ordered......" I don't own it yet, hence the reason for the question!
    Yes, once I own it, I will test it with load resistors and post it on my web page as well as YouTube, "IF" it can supply 2 regulated amps.
    Barry

4. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

I did not catch that .
    To me , I look for spec. before buying , just saying .
    Lots of stuff like this , does not seem to be as advertised - or sales people do not have a clue .
    I have seen this item in a number of posts / links , and never gave another look , except when another question comes - to remind me .
    1st off the top of my head - on a Amazon page - I see 600a , I see nothing / or no sign of any conductor capable of handling 600 amps at 12v .
    Thats the point at which & quit , then the rest of the add , does not give enough tech / spec.s to figure beyond ?
    On the other hand , I do collect , process and build battery systems with the 18650 cells - lithium batteries mostly from laptops .
    Guessing that they use some type of Lithium ?
    I did buy from my Snap On dealer about 20 yrs. ago , a new type jump starter , it was very small about 1/4 the size of a standard jump-starter box .
    It was advertised to putout 1,600 amps at 12v , I bought because at the time , I was working at a shop that I could not plugin the block heater for my diesel car and with temps frequently below 20--- F , it needed help to start .
    A few yrs. later when it quit working , I open up and found what was experimental lead battery from Johnson Controls - that the only info on the web was about experimental - never could find a replacement ?
    Ben burned before , so try to avoid - extreme claims help .

5. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

Unit received and tested under load:
    My first test was to apply a 2.4 amp load on the 12 volt accessory port. The voltage dropped 1/2 of a volt from no load to 2.4 amp load. Not good for me. My next test was to use the
    actual battery jumper leads. With the internal battery fully changed the unit puts 12.4 volts to the leads. I put a 2.4 amp load on these leads and the voltage only dropped 1/10 of a volt.
    Next I put a 4 amp load on the unit and again the results were the same, 1/10 of a volt drop.
    Next I ordered, off of Amazon, the cigarette adapter with the heavy duty plug on the other end that plugs into the jumper leads jack. It only cost $5.85 for the adapter. Once I received it I
    cut off the cigarette lighter socket and added Anderson Power Poles.
    This setup now works perfect for low powered radios.
    So now I have a nice compact, high current battery in a nice case that can be used to jump a car if the car's battery dies and also use for QRP portable operations.
    An AC wall outlet charger comes with the unit as well as a cigarette lighter plug adapter so you can charge the unit's battery off of the car when the car is running. I am sure you can use
    a solar panel to charge this battery if needed, like when one goes camping for an extended period of time.

I'll post a YouTube video once I free up some time to make it.

DBpower 600A

Barry, KU3X