Portable operators (5w-100w): what gear are you using?

Discussion in 'On-Air Operations - Q&A' started by N7NIT, Aug 18, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: QSOToday-1
  1. AE0Q

AE0Q XML Subscriber QRZ Page

For activating parks for WWFF and POTA, a Tentec Eagle 599AT (100w), Bioenno LiFePO4 battery, 32 ft HD fiberglass mast (trailer hitch mount), either a 20m 32 ft EFHW up the mast for fast setup or 40-10m EFHW supported in middle by the mast when more room is available. WKUSB keyer for CW, Heil HMM mic for SSB.

2. KD8WU

KD8WU Ham Member QRZ Page

We have vacation / retirement property in NE lower Michigan, and a portable generator for the camper. I use an Icom IC-751a and a 20m Half Square. That does limit me to 20m, but I do have other things to do (fishing, bicycle riding, wife wants to go shopping [yes dear]).

The Half Square (N-S) plays fairly well. My less-than-ideal set-up seems to cover the US fairly well and Europe too.

Good luck. Have fun! Stay safe.

3. W4ZNG

W4ZNG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

QRP: FT-817nd, SOTAbeams in-line speech compressor, Bioenno 4.5 AH LiFePO batt, LDG Z-817 tuner, LNR 10-20-40 trail-friendly antenna. Enough coax and power wires to tie it all together.

QRO: FT-857d, Bioenno 12 AH LiFePO batt, MFJ-939 tuner, home-brew W3EDP mini antenna (it's a sort of Zepp that sort of works). Enough coax and power wires to tie it all together.

For digital modes, they both can plug in with a little Linux laptop running fldigi and a SignaLink box. They use the same settings, cables, etc., so that's completely interchangeable. If I want to go lighter, the 817 works nicely with an iPhone and interface box, with a cheap bluetooth keyboard. If I want to go *really* light, I hold the mic to the phone and audio-link things.

With the 817 and iPhone rig, the weight is just under 5 lbs. For the 857 plus laptop, it's up around 15 lbs. At these weights, the 817 carries easily in a day pack while hiking or biking. The 857 requires something something more substantial with a frame. I'll usually use an old medium ALICE or my 50 liter backpacking rig for that.

If I'm going for a long weekend, there's usually a 27 or 100 watt solar panel and controller in the mix. The weight really begins to stack up there though, and solar's a topic for another thread.

4. W7HV

W7HV Ham Member QRZ Page

It's been a long time since doing portable ops (~16 years?). Only CW. I used a number of different little QRP rigs (K1, SST, SWLs, etc...) in the past with various types of wire antennas (dipoles, end-fed 1/2 wave, random) strung in trees or supported with telescoping FG fishing poles. Currently I also have a Buddipole, and QRP small loop tuner. For more serious expeditions I used my K2, almost always in 15W config and internal ATU but sometimes with its 100W amp. Back then it was NiMH AAs or SLAs of various sizes for power. I need to study up on the new battery technologies.

5. WE4E

WE4E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm chipping away at a portable setup. More of a luggable setup, really. I'd hate to carry this any significant distance. Breaks down into a couple of Pelican cases or so.

Yaesu FT-891 with headset. Two antennas: EFHW-7510 if I can get a wire up, AT-200 ProII tuner, although that antenna rarely needs it. MFJ 17' whip on a tripod with an SG-237 coupler and worked against radials. Power will likely be a group 27 marine battery, switching supply if there's AC.

Hoping to activate a park or two when things warm up a little.

6. KJ4KPW

KJ4KPW Ham Member QRZ Page

Yaesu 818 with a Sotabeams linked dipole (20/30/40), TalentCell battery (as recommended by N4CCB), and a micro straight key from CW Morse. Compact and it all fits in a shoulder bag.

I only really do CW, which is a big difference. BUT, there are plenty of YouTube videos of people making SSB QSOs with 5 watts, even .5 a watt!