Portable operators (5w-100w): what gear are you using?

Discussion in 'On-Air Operations - Q&A' started by N7NIT, Aug 18, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

Mainly for SOTA and camping use...

FT-817nd with internal BHI DSP and One Big Punch speech compressor
    QRPKits SOTA EFHW Tuner with 5' counterpoise (covers 15, 17, 20, and 40 meters)
    Chalk string winder with 75' of 28awg wire marked at 25, 35, and 65 feet (corresponds with 15/17, 20, and 40 meter bands)
    A couple tent stakes and a few feet of paracord to secure the antenna if I set it up as an inverted V
    Bioenno 12v 4.5ah LifePo battery and/or a set of AA NiMH batteries for the internal tray (LifePO battery for all day, AAs for a quick trip)
    MFJ-1820 vertical antenna with 13' counterpoise (for light trips or when you don't have structures to attach your wire antenna to)

Chris

WN1MB and N4XRD like this.
  2. N7NIT

N7NIT Ham Member QRZ Page

So far it looks like only those who do qrp operations have chimed in. Anyone who operates portable non-qrp is also welcome to share. I know there's folks out there who do POTA and who use more than 5 watts.

3. AE0Q

AE0Q XML Subscriber QRZ Page

When I go out to activate a park (WWFF/POTA) for a few hours I try to have the best signal I can. Use a TenTec Eagle @ 100w CW or SSB, Bioenno 40 AH battery, 32 ft mast with either a full size dipole (40/20m) or a 20m EFHW wire to top of the mast.

But I'm not camping, I'm activating a park so park hunters can contact the park. I don't really get people activating parks for WWFF/POTA and then using a 5w radio and a base loaded vertical sitting on the ground, putting out the weakest signal possible...

Glenn AE0Q

N8AFT likes this.
  4. N9RVB

N9RVB Ham Member QRZ Page

Similar to AE0Q I like to try to maximize contacts so 1) Hunters can get in the log and 2) I can ensure a successful activation as I'm usually at a park with the family and usually have limited time to play radio (incl setup and tear down). I like to work late-shift when the bands are more open...

My POTA setup...

group 27 deep cycle battery (take off of my camper)
    ... I can run 100W a long time. Heavy, but usually just leave it in the back of the truck and run power cable to my folding table

IC 7300 radio
    straight key (haven't graduated to paddles yet)
    in-line watt meter / power analyzer
    raspberryPi (for PSK, RTTY, WSJTX modes, etc) and Aker 5V battery
    ipad, to vnc into the RPi.
    cell phone, for watching POTA Spots
    ear buds
    24' painters pole.
    homemade hitch mount for the pole
    homemade linked dipole, set up as inv-V
    assorted cables/cords
    folding table & lawn chair
    notepad and pencil for logging
    Nanuk case (pelican knock-off)

still finishing my RPi setup... I have the digi modes working at the house VNC'ing in over the house router, but still have to get the RPi set up as the hotspot so I can connect direct to it when in the field. May add a keyboard/mouse and 12V monitor as it's not really fun controlling with the ipad.... which would also make it easier to log electronically.

Really, still shaking out the whole setup, only 5 activations in so far. Now I need to re-build my mast support as I bought a new truck...

-n9rvb

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
    AE0Q likes this.
  5. N8AFT

N8AFT Ham Member QRZ Page

Tall Igloo lunch box cooler. FT857 and YT100 mounted inside. Run a plank mounted 31' vert. 30-100w CW.
    Other rig is Xiegu G-90 20w with built-in tuner. Batteries are 100ah deep cycle AGM or LiFePo4, solar chg.
    Rare for me to run less than 10-20w out with current propagation...

AE0Q likes this.
  6. NC4AB

NC4AB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Currently running an Icom 706 configured in a 12"x12"x8" aluminum "case". Power supply is normally a Bioenno 1220 battery but I also carry a power cable with alligator clips on it and also one that plugs into my trailer hitch plug on the truck for tailgate portable operation.
    Coax, log book, computer for digital modes, wire antennas, rope, etc. all fit in a water tight Rigid tool box with wheels.

carova.JPG .

7. W7IMM

W7IMM Ham Member QRZ Page

There are people who use "portable" generator power to operate higher power.......

There was a 2 day power outage here and I operated my station using a 5500w single cyl generator.

It powered the entire house + my Viking Valiant + Drake R-4C on 75 and 160 AM.

I also used my Vertex Standard VX1700 operating with an ASTRON SS-30 + an MFJ998RT tuner, driving a Henry SS750 powered by twin/parallel Astron RM-70 power supplies.

8. VE3BXG

VE3BXG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

KX2 transceiver; Hardrock 50 amp (max 50W); Proantennas I-Pro Traveller vertical dipole for 40, 30, 20, 17 15, 12 and 10m; Bioenno batteries; N3ZN Lite paddle with KX2 mount; camping chair and camping table.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
  9. KG5THG

KG5THG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

laptop with usb cable. icom 7300, m2-6m3, and alinco 330 mvt. Extension cord for either a wen 2250w or rv shore power. Prefer rv power so I can have my home made ham box that has a/c and a fridge.