Portable operators (5w-100w): what gear are you using?

Discussion in 'On-Air Operations - Q&A' started by N7NIT, Aug 18, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: QSOToday-1
  1. N7NIT

N7NIT Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm working on putting together my own portable operating kit and am curious what others are using. Care to share?

KF5KWO likes this.
  2. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I normally run 5 watts or less on any number of rigs: K1, KX1, MFJ-9200, HW-9, and a number of others.

100% CW though so that is a big difference I suspect - 5 watts SSB would be more of a challenge

I know there are folks now running FT8 from picnic tables but that sounds REALLY boring to me.

Dave
    W7UUU

N7ANN, N8TGQ, US7IGN and 1 other person like this.
  3. WN1MB

WN1MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Heathkit HW-8, 2 watts, CW only, mostly 40 meters with a bit of 80 and 20 meters.

AJ6KZ, N8TGQ and W7UUU like this.
  4. N3PM

N3PM Ham Member QRZ Page

Two arrangements that I used the most were-
    An Argonaut 509/MFJ901/12V alarm system battery lashed into a milk crate, ala "slip seat box". (in the 70s and 80s)
    Currently, FT817/QRP Ranger battery pack/Miracle whip. Use this in my rowboat mostly. Sometimes you make QSOs, sometimes not.

Mike N3PM

WN1MB likes this.
  5. VK3YE

VK3YE Ham Member QRZ Page

Checklist of what I take.
    upload_2020-8-19_7-26-12.png

WN1MB, KF5KWO and W7UUU like this.
  6. KL7KN

KL7KN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Interesting

KX2 or SW3B (with QRP Guys tuner)

66+ ft antenna wire on clothesline winder, some 550 cord, a pair of large nails (for the 550 cord)
    set of cans, a paddle and a battery pack + 1 set of replacement cells & power cable. Pretty basic..

Fits a smallish should bag. Trekking poles used for support in sandy areas - like this.

[​IMG]
    I do normally carry a pint of water.

KN6LDH, AJ6KZ, M6JLQ and 3 others like this.
  7. KF9VV

KF9VV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

As of today, KX3, N0SA paddle, Buddistick or a wire antenna depending on the location. Paper logging.

I used a 40 Meter QCX for a couple of years. It worked well, and concentrating on 40M kept things simple.

8. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

Just leave it here http://www.us7ign.com/?cat=13

Homemade QRP rig with wires, dipoles...

[​IMG]

Icom 706mk2g for contests

[​IMG]

with 2 element wire yagi

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

"Pine baloon"

[​IMG]

AJ6KZ, DO1JML and WN1MB like this.
  9. N8TGQ

N8TGQ Ham Member QRZ Page

My current setup is LNR MTR3b, homemade paddles, QRPGuys mini HW matcher and 8 AA cell battery pack. I can use 8 nimh for 10v or 7 alkalines with dummy battery for 10.5v. Antenna is is 70' wire I can spool out to the proper length for the band Im on.
    I live in an apartment and choose not to have a car so all radioing is at the local parks. newkit01.jpg

AJ6KZ, M6JLQ, WN1MB and 1 other person like this.
  10. KN4XJ

KN4XJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My RV portable setup includes a 590S, G5RV Jr, 12 meter Spiderpole, Diamond whips for 20, 40, 80 meters, Astron PS, RigExpert AA54, and assorted tools, wires, ropes, etc. to support station setup and operation. It's all housed in 3 Ridgid (Home Depot) cases.

IMG_20190517_060653.jpg

AE0Q likes this.