"Portable" operation???

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by N3EG, Jul 15, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. KF9VV

KF9VV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hey, when you are portable anything to get out of the elements!

N3TGY likes this.
  2. G0CIQ

G0CIQ Ham Member QRZ Page

For me, portable means not taking more than I can comfortably carry...at the moment that means either a handheld for 4m/2m/70cm possibly with an external antenna, or the 817, z817 ATU, wire antenna and a lightweight telescopic pole or possibly the QCX and a dipole. I will occasionally take more gear (817, small amp and a 2m beam plus mast) but I wouldn't go too far from the car with that lot. Some friends are currently setting up a 2m contest station with generator, big beam and mast and a legal limit linear amplifier, still portable but in a different sense. I suppose for me it's more about getting out for a hike with radio gear as opposed to quite a large effort to enter a contest although both are equally valid.

N3TGY and (deleted member) like this.
  3. N8AFT

N8AFT Ham Member QRZ Page

Load the car or load the RV or load yer back pack. It all moves from point A to point B...
    I routinely op from my Toyota Mini Cruiser class C or the trunk of the Camry Solara.
    I'm somewhar/anywhar other than stuck at home and in my shack!
    That's what constitutes "portable ops"...
    It's not all about gear or how one gets there... A lot or just a little... It's being there and doing that... ;)

KI5WW, KK9W and US7IGN like this.
  4. N3TGY

N3TGY Ham Member QRZ Page

I like all sorts of portable operation, I love to see what other folks come up with station equipment. As for me , I have all these different antennas I want to try, or matching transformers. Went yesterday and never got my gear out of the car. Ended up swimming in the river the whole time. But my portable station would be my Yaesu FT-818 I have an LDG z-817 ATU strapped to the radio, Chameleon Emcomm 3/p ( those things are tough) I take an old slim Jim antenna for V/UHF . I want to get a smaller battery because the battery in the rig doesn't hold out for very long. To me it is being able to be outside with whatever you have, if you ever need to set up in an emergency situation for health and welfare traffic doing this helps you prepare for that. As a firefighter we would do evolutions, laying out the hose in different configurations to the fire engine, and then taking the attack lines into a mock-up. It helps you know your gear it helps you know when and where to use certain things I think it's a good practice. And it's fun. All part of the hobby.

W5ESE, KC3RN, G0CIQ and 1 other person like this.
  5. MW7SRA

MW7SRA Ham Member QRZ Page

In the UK, portable as in /P just means that you’re not at your home address, not at an alternative address or operating while mobile. So if you set up shop in a field somewhere that’s classed as portable regardless of if you have a tiny SOTA rig or a van full of gear with you. I’m sure people’s view of what constitutes a portable rig is coloured by what they normally do - field rallies or SOTA activations would be completely different of course.

US7IGN and G0CIQ like this.
  6. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Similar to camping versus glamping forum warfare.
    QRL _AS_

Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
  7. N8AFT

Which shack sports the operating position in the lower level ? :p

8. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

I welcome any sort of talk about radio, I do not find the topic a waste of time like some early comments.

I would love to do some portable operating off of a dual sport motorcycle in the South Jersey pine barrens.
    We do not have any 'summits' or parks, but the idea of operating 25 miles from the closest electronic/electrical device
    seems interesting to me.

What would be an efficient antenna for 40 and 20 meters if you did not want to have to put wire up in tree's?
    Or, maybe a more permanent antenna that could be left in the trees (semi stealthy?) that could be hooked up quickly?

Is there a way to get a reasonable signal out with a vertical you could pack on a motorcycle and set up in the woods, and not need a tuner?
    Vertical's tend to pick up noise, but if there is none it should work well on RX....

N8AFT likes this.
  9. N8AFT

I think the noise business is so much hearsay by my own experiences.
    Hv a vert gnd mount for several years without any more noise on it than what I get on my 135' doublet with open wire feed.
    QTH Columbus, Ohio..
    A fiberglass telescopic mast is cheap, compact and light. MFJ makes a complete setup with the radials which I have and like.
    Their model MFJ2980 is for 40 to 6m 600w @ $130. Pretty good bargain. Mine worked fine right from the box.
    I always run a vertical when RV or car camping with no excessive noise encountered there either.

10. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

Raise inv.V takes 10-15 minutes. If the place is constant, it is enough to leave the cord thrown over the branch so as not to throw it every time.

For some time now I began to avoid verticals. They need counterweights that take up a lot of space and time to place them. It's easier to hang the delta loop right away.

My laziest and most efficient antenna lately is a delta of 40 or 80 meters with a tuner for all bands.