Portable / mobile truck tower

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio' started by NZ5F, Jul 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: OK1UUad-1
  1. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

A local friend of mine has built many (many!) tow-behind tower trailers, from small (about 30' lightweight crank-up) to large (72' heavy duty, fully motorized).

I bought one of his 65-footers years ago (1979) and used it for many years, but left it behind in NJ when I moved to CA in 1988. Even after I moved, the guy I left it with (Bill, K2OWR) continued to use it for several more years.

Properly built, you can park, set and level (crank down supports to take the weight off the tires and better stabilize), install antennas, crank upright (from the nested horizontal position) and then crank "up" to full operating height inside of 20 minutes -- and I sure did that dozens and dozens of times. And they can be made "road legal" for all 50 states, so you can register them as a trailer (only requires dimensional checks and lights and stuff) inexpensively.

An idea on how to build one pretty easily is here: http://n6nb.com/twrtrlr.htm

2. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

If you're talking about the place on Charles Page blvd that makes mobile cell towers, I got a price of over $10,000 for the basic model.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.