ad: n2yo

Portable / mobile truck tower

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio' started by NZ5F, Jul 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: FBNews-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. NZ5F

NZ5F Ham Member QRZ Page

I am currently tearing down my QTH in preparation for a career related move and I am seriously contemplating putting a mounting plate in the bed of my pickup for 5' of a top section (shortened) of a rohn 25 that I jus took down. I would mount the shortened rohn when I am parked. I would use this for VHF contesting primarily. I was wondering if anyone had any experience doing such a thing and whether the bed of my 97 Silverado would be able to handle such a mounting and 15' of mast.

2. KE6KA

KE6KA Ham Member QRZ Page

Without reinforcement of some type, I wouldn't expect the bed of a pickup to support a tower.

But, I too am looking for some real good way hike antennas up about 30 feet for the VHF contests.

3. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If the mounting plate bolts through to the frame yes it would easily support a short tower, mast and VHF/UHF antennas. Fifth wheel mounts bolt to the frame through the bed of pickups and they pull huge and heavy trailers.

4. W4IOK

W4IOK Ham Member QRZ Page

Rather than put it in the bed, mount a short piece on a receiver hitch, hinge at the height of the cab, and let it lay on the cab roof. easily walked up from the bed. Would suggest some guys to stabilize.

5. W5LDA

W5LDA Ham Member QRZ Page

How about this? Built by friends of mine in Tulsa

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 6, 2014
  6. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hay!
    It has been a while, hope Y'all are doing okay.

7. N5TWB

N5TWB Ham Member QRZ Page

I haven't come across that one but the Broken Arrow group has a nice one with a boat trailer as a base for a collapsible Rohn. I had the pleasure of using it once at a Boy Scout event.

8. W5LDA

Doing good. Moved a year ago today and still have no station up yet:mad:

9. W5LDA

These trailer mounted towers are for sale here locally in Tulsa.

10. N5TWB

N5TWB Ham Member QRZ Page

I know of a couple of them, one is an occasional client.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.