ad: w5yi

Portable mast solution for X30

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by KF7MBK, Aug 20, 2015.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KF7MBK

KF7MBK Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm having trouble searching for the right keywords and haven't found any useful info. Even searched youtub, but didn't find anything.

I'd like a portable system that doesn't have a billion parts, that I could set up to get an antenna like an X30 15 to 20 ft in the air. Guy-free if possible. Maybe a ridged mounted brace at the top of my grand cherokee in lieu of guys. I was looking at painter poles, but not sure they would have the strength. I was thinking either a "drive on" or hitch mount base.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

2. K0BG

K0BG Ham Member QRZ Page

If you were using a lighter antenna (weight wise), then the tripod from Buddipole would do fine. Unfortunately, it won't hold the weight.

3. W2ROD

W2ROD Ham Member QRZ Page

I use the aluminum army masting (4ft sections that slide togeather) and a hitch mount adaptor that pivots down or up and locks in. Wish I had better pictures. I can get you the guys email that makes the hitch adaptor.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fiberglass pole shown here that slide togeather.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. WA8FOZ

WA8FOZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Alternative to hitch mount, if you don't already have a hitch: A "drive-over" Board or plate, with a 3-4 foot vertical piece, to which you clamp the mast. The vertical can be unscrewed from the plate or board, and the whole works, including the army mast pieces, goes into the trunk or back seat. Or buy this:
    http://www.k1cra.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=PENNTMT-1

5. K0BG

K0BG Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh! Drive over plates. You got to love them!

About two years ago, one of the locals decided to operate as a rover atop one of the local hills. His setup was dual 11 element, 2 meter beams, a home brew rotator, all atop a 40 foot mast. I can't say whose drive over plate it was, but I guess he forgot that down slope winds can easily exceed 75 mph. Oddly enough, the mast and plate remained intact, but the bending moment was enough to flip over the whole shebang, destroying the beams. When he decided to just drive over the mast to clear the bottom plate, the plate ended up punctured the fuel tank! The saga continued, but that is another story.

6. KF7MBK

Thanks everyone! You've given me some keywords and was able to find some of the aluminum army masts on ebay.

I think I may just break out the tig welder and make up a drive-on plate.

7. W2ROD

W2ROD Ham Member QRZ Page

8. KF7MBK

WA7FOZ posted a link to those products (well a reseller).. They look nice, but, like you said, a little pricey, and I need the setup before friday, limiting my options at this point. Thanks!