Portable HF QRP - what's in your go bag?

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by VK3YE, Jan 3, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
  1. N1RBD

N1RBD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Minimalist to the extreme

[​IMG]

W7MDN likes this.
  2. W7MDN

W7MDN Ham Member QRZ Page

This.

SOTA more, recover faster and cover way more summits by carrying what you need and not much fluff. Smaller pack, lose the mast if you can, MTR or KX2/3, etc. Minimal stuff, keep the weight down. I have no inclination to slog a laptop and Pi to a summit to do FT8 and the like. Not my bag, baby.

N1RBD likes this.
  3. K1GC

K1GC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think your image link is broken.

4. N1RBD

N1RBD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

A buddy carried an FT891, RPi, 4" monitor, Kenwood VHF 50w rig, batteries for both, Superantenna, cables, HT, and keyboard to a summit. He replaced the 891/Kenwood with an FT857 but still way to heavy for these old legs. He loves his digital modes. But. if he wants to do that more power to him! :)

K1BQY likes this.
  5. WD4ELG

WD4ELG Ham Member QRZ Page

He is a better man than I. With all that gear, I would lose my enthusiasm pretty fast.

N8AFT likes this.
  6. KC3TEC

KC3TEC Ham Member QRZ Page

crickey, straight key, cricket 40, qcx 40, a pixie to monitor, dipole assembly, 1:1, 4:1 baluns , spare batteries, roll of wire, and possibles box of connectors.
    I am currently building a portable air launcher kit to put the wires up into the trees at camp.

but before i transmit with that gear i have to brush the dust and cobwebs off my morse skills! ( Damn those spiders can cob up webs in a hurry):p

7. K9NUD

K9NUD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

"Best" is a tough definition. I use a KX2 for my portable ops and I love it. The tuner makes it a lot easier to experiment with antennas. The CW filters in my KX2 and KX3 run rings around my IC-7300, which is now in a box, looking for a good home. My home rig is the KX3 @ 5W to a 132' end fed inverted L. I have lots of QSOs with people running 100W, but we nearly always give each other the same report.

My go-to portable antenna has been a 29' 9:1 end-fed using a 31' Jackite pole. I have worked lots of POTA with it, including a lot of Europeans and one Kiwi. I have since added 29' of wire and use it more like an inverted L. I'm planning to try a W3EDP next. That antenna has variations, but I will try the classic Zepp design with a 4:1 balun, and 17' of 450 ohm window line to a 67' wire. The window line acts as a transformer rather than a counterpoise.

Having a great tuner in the rig makes a lot of difference to me. Resonant antennas are great, but I like to work several bands on an activation. I don't want to carry a separate automatic tuner. If I did, it would be the Elecraft T1. Otherwise it would be my ZM-2.

KE8OKM likes this.
  8. N2UHC

N2UHC Ham Member QRZ Page

To quote a line from "Platoon," you're humping too much stuff, troop. That's a lot of gear to be carrying up a mountain.

WD4ELG likes this.
  9. W7MDN

W7MDN Ham Member QRZ Page

Jelly. I'm in a suburb with two story homes (read RF factories) on all sides. I tried QSOs with the KX2 but couldn't get out of the backyard. My first HF contacts were made by driving a mile to the sports field of a high school. I ran the EFHW from a tall light pole to the side view mirror of my truck so I could sit in heated comfort.

Nothing fancy but it works.

KE8OKM, K9NUD and WD4ELG like this.
  10. N2UHC

N2UHC Ham Member QRZ Page

Since I got a uBitX, which I plan on operating portable now and then, I have a sort of dilemma. It will fit in my fiberglass case, but it's about twice as thick as the triband radio I put in there. It still fits, but I don't have room for my tuner.

I had been putting my triband rig on the bottom, then a layer of foam padding, then my MFJ-9015. They fit just well enough to not rattle around. I might be able to put the tuner, which is about the same thickness as the 9015, in without the extra layer of foam, with maybe a piece of cardboard between them. If worst comes to worse, I have another case the tuner fits in, but I really want to fit everything into one box.