ad: w5yi

Portable HF QRP - what's in your go bag?

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by VK3YE, Jan 3, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: l-BCInc
  1. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

For camping weekends I load up one of my MFJ cubs, a light wire dipole and some light rope to deploy in tree branches, J38 Key, 8 AH rechargable batt and a wall wart charger if I need it.
    A 5x7" spiral notebook to log QSOs, and a couple of ballpoint pens.
    That's all I need.
    (if it's a "contest weekend" I take the MfJ9030 or 9017 to get on a WARC band)

2. KD7LX

KD7LX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Interesting! I have been honing my old Morse code skills and have been getting back into CW. I don't have a rig with silent QSK right now, but I remember how nice it was on my ancient Triton IV many decades ago. That is what draws me to the KX-2, but I've never seen one in real life. Also, I've read several places that the KX-2 has a "lower noise floor", however one quantifies that. The 705 looks like the one and done package, though. It would be a little less cumbersome to lug around than my G90. Technology doesn't age well so I am also more apt to spend big dollars on a more modern design. These are wonderful problems to have.

3. W7MDN

W7MDN Ham Member QRZ Page

Throw line. I don't bother with a mast anymore. The throw line hands down is the easiest way to get an antenna much higher in less than half the time.

KE8OKM likes this.
  4. KC7JNJ

KC7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Ha ha ha not on the Waterville Plateau, or the Palouse... As there isnt any trees ;)

5. WD4ELG

WD4ELG Ham Member QRZ Page

WN1MB likes this.
  6. KV4PD

KV4PD Ham Member QRZ Page

K1BQY likes this.
  7. CA3FJK

CA3FJK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

last time I went portable I carried 40lbs up hill for two hours to try out a two element yagi for 10m from a "near by" hill.

KE8OKM and KC7JNJ like this.
  8. WD4ELG

WD4ELG Ham Member QRZ Page

Fernando - que linda la vista! Bien hecho.

CA3FJK likes this.
  9. CA3FJK

CA3FJK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

gracias! little toasty place to operate but It was fun!

10. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

First the disclaimer: I can't say that one configuration is better than the other when it comes to the HWEF40. My results mostly relate to band conditions at that time. Without having two antennas up at the same time to compare, I can't qualify the results.

Moving on......When I first started to use my HWEF40, I erected two antennas to make a comparison. The other antenna was a 1/2 wave 40 meter wire antenna fed with coax.
    They were both erected at the same height with the same slope. I used reverse beacon to make a comparison. By the end of the test, I averaged out the results and found that they both performed exactly the same.

Since my last post, I decided to erect my HWEF40 as an inverted L. The feed point was 4 feet above the ground and the L was at the 26 foot mark on my mast. The wire then sloped down to the tree that I always used to tie off all of my antennas to.
    I worked a lot of station on 20 meters that day. I was very happy with the results and the next time, if I have a choice, I will go for the inverted L instead of the horizontal configuration.

So, does the inverted L work better than a HWEF erected horizontally? I have no idea.

Just keep in mind, without having a second know good antenna to compare the EF to, you really don't know how well your antenna works.

Barry, KU3X/QRP

KE8OKM likes this.