ad: SDRKits-1

Portable external speaker for KX3?

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by KD8ZM, May 19, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. KC3RN

KC3RN Ham Member QRZ Page

KD8ZM likes this.
  2. KD8ZM

KD8ZM Ham Member QRZ Page

KC8VWM, I received the Motorola unit tonight, and rigged it up as you directed. Works wonderfully on the KX3. I tried it on my Icom 7200 and it really doesn't work so well there, as the 100 watts swamps the circuitry every time I hit the CW key. Or at least, it makes a sound like it is being swamped. I think that must be because the Motorloa unit with its amplifier is a sort of radio itself, considering that when I touch the jack of the Motorola unit to my antenna (with no radios turned on or in the circuit, only the Motorola), I am able to pick up AM radio stations on the speaker, loudly enough to make out what they're saying. Haven't figured out where the tuning knob is on this thing yet, though :)
    The speaker is much, much larger and heavier than I'd imagined it being. Obviously not a backpacking speaker!
    But, for the KX3 this thing seems to work great - many thanks for the tip, OM.
    Brady KD8ZM

3. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Great news. I knew it would sound good on the KX3. :)

In terms of RF heard in the speaker amplifier, you might be too close to the antenna. I would try to install some ferrite chokes on the speaker cable as close to the speaker as practical. Also make sure you're using shielded audio cable going to the speaker too.

I really like mine and it works fantastic with my FT-817 and i'm sure your KX3 sounds like a new radio.

73 Charles - KC8VWM

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
  4. AG6ZZ

AG6ZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Somehow, I missed this thread until now. I'm developing a new external speaker designed specifically for the Elecraft KX Line which matches the dimensions and appearance of the KX3. I posted about it in the Elecraft forums a few months back. Working with vendors takes more patience than you could imagine, but a factory-made prototype is imminent. The picture is of the first, hand-made prototype resting beside a KX3. It's hand-made; not machine made, so you'll have to excuse the rough appearance. A pair of these daisy-chained will take advantage of the stereo effects of the KX2/KX3 PHONES output. One (even two) can also be daisy-chained with a PC for audio monitoring of digital modes.

A few key features are:
    * Stereo IN and OUT ports
    * Internal battery
    * 9-16 VDC in; just like KX3
    * Runs on external power or battery
    * External power charges battery
    * Built in amplifier
    * 5W max audio
    * SideKX panels will be available from the day it ships

AG6ZZ_SPX3_KX3_Small.jpg

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
    KC8VWM and KG7WGX like this.