ad: chuckmartin

Portable external speaker for KX3?

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by KD8ZM, May 19, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

2. KI5WW

KI5WW Ham Member QRZ Page

Prob a misunderstanding on my part. Mine is not wireless. I was showing it off to my son and he mentioned, ya know they make those wireless too. I was thinking that for the I phone. But the one with the wire worked great with the H1b I was using at the time.

3. KD8ZM

KD8ZM Ham Member QRZ Page

WW2PT likes this.
  4. KD8ZM

Now THAT's an interesting observation. Do you think the KX3 could drive this speaker from the headphone jack? Or is this made for radios that have an external speaker jack? I have not seen where the KX3 would have an external speaker connection.

5. AG6QR

AG6QR Subscriber QRZ Page

I've used a couple if different speakers intended for MP3 players. My favorite is a round Altec-Lansing model iM227 that's not made any more, but other amplified speakers should work.

One important note: The KX3 has an "AFX Mode" menu item that can be used to create stereo effects in the headphones. I like setting it to "Delay", but you can also set it to "Pitch". To me, these effects enhance the listening experience when using stereo headphones. But they sound positively awful when piping the audio into a mono speaker. If you're not satisfied with the audio quality when using the KX3 with an external speaker, make sure you try it with the "AFX MD" menu item set to "OFF"!

The KX3 will automatically turn the stereo effects off when using its own internal speaker, but if you plug something into the earphone jack, it has no way of knowing whether you plugged in stereo headphones or a mono speaker, so the effects will be turned on.

KD8ZM likes this.
  6. KA4DPO

7. KD8ZM

That's a great tip, TU. I bet I don't know how to use even 10% of the capabilities of this radio. (OR, any modern radio, as far as that's concerned).

8. KD8ZM

9. KA4DPO

I like them, I have two of the larger ones that I use at the track and they really work well. Actually, the Sonos stuff is more expensive than Bose but they both sound great. I suppose it all comes down to your definition of expensive.

10. KD8ZM

That's easy to determine: "Dear, is this expensive?" :)