portable antenna recommendation?

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by KB1FGC, Sep 28, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. KB1FGC

KB1FGC Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi,I researched some on portable antennas.I tried the Wonderloop.It attaches directly to the radio which I like.I had pretty bad results with it.I know some people seem to like it but it didn't work for me.Just looking for some recommendations for portable backpack antennas.I do have a Buddie stick and it works great but I would like to avoid using a radial if possible at times/The radial gets a little long when using it for 30M.Also I wanted to use it on my boat so that is part of the reason why I want something very compact,or in areas were I don't have much room for a radial.The EFHW is nice but again I am trying to keep it as compact as possible.Perhaps that maybe limiting too much.
    Rich

2. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

If we are not talking about a yacht, then for me, portable this is just without restrictions on the dimensions of the antenna. With an antenna surrogate, you will never be effective. This is physics.

For working from field/forest I recommend either delta or dipole.

3. KC7JNJ

KC7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

What type of boat? For none boat QRP the par tri or quad band works really well.

4. VK3YE

VK3YE Ham Member QRZ Page

HF portable antennas are described in detail on my website at https://vk3ye.com/projant.htm

Many have demo videos.

Also look up 'HF pack antenna shootout' for test results.

5. KB1FGC

KB1FGC Ham Member QRZ Page

It's a 21foot fishing boat.All open.
    I'll check out the info:).

6. KC7JNJ

KC7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I was thinking if was a sailboat you could use the backstay. Or if you had a cabin you could mount a 108 inch whip and tune it.

7. KC1TX

KC1TX Ham Member QRZ Page

What type of boat? For none boat QRP the par tri or quad band works really well.