Portable 2 meter antenna?

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KV4JW, Sep 27, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KV4JW

KV4JW Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd like to make a 2 meter antenna for my HT that I can use to extend my operational range. I understand I can just power up to 5 watts and cross my fingers with the rubber duck antenna, but that creates a lot of heat, sucks a battery down pretty fast, and puts more RF than I care to have within inches of my forehead.

For walking around and moving, the rubber duck may be best - but sometimes I'm just a lazy recliner operator and being able to clip an antenna to the curtain and kick back with the HT in my lap would be great.

I know MFJ makes a "pocket 2 meter roll up" antenna that appears to be nothing more than a length of coax with a BNC on the end of it - $30 is a little rich though. Radiowavz also makes one at DOUBLE that price. For $60, it better make toast and coffee.

I have a VHF SWR meter, and I'm handy with soldering, so I really feel like I could make something comparable for substantially less money.

Can you guys point me to any DIY articles, or perhaps offer insight/tips on how I could do something like this for myself? If it works out good, I'll probably make a couple more for my local ham friends with HT's.

2. W0KDT

W0KDT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Roll-up J pole with suction cup to attach top to window glass works well for me.

KV4JW likes this.
  3. WA7ARK

WA7ARK Ham Member QRZ Page

Turn a piece of RG58 into a coaxial antenna by loosening the braid and pulling it back down over the coax jacket. It that is too hard to do, strip the braid off some RG8, and use that over the jacket of RG58. Solder the braid of the RG58 to the "sleeve" at the base of the "whip". Heatshrink after pruning the length of both the "whip" and the "sleeve". Obviously, the lengths shown in the illustration need to be adjusted for 2meters (abt 19").

A 19" whip on an automotive magnet mount stuck to the top of a metal file cabinet works great, too.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
    WB7OXP and KV4JW like this.
  4. KV4JW

Nice. I didn't realize a j-pole type arrangement could even be made portable, but I guess it can be. Found this. Thanks for the idea!

https://www.essexham.co.uk/slim-jim

5. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

Make a vertical Moxon. You'll be happier than with a JPole. They are notorious for CM problems. Actually I'd stick with a GP, they're easier to make and also make work. Moxon is very forgiving and easy to make.

NH7RO and KD0CAC like this.
  6. WB7OXP

WB7OXP Ham Member Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

7. K3UJ

K3UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Height extends range. The higher you can get the antenna the better.
    Operating from the second floor, beats the basement.

8. KV4JW

One story house. Relocating the recliner to the roof isn't an option.

Gain over a rubber duck antenna is easier/less expensive.

9. NH7RO

NH7RO Ham Member QRZ Page

Ditch the crappy J-pole idea; the sleeve dipole is simpler and not fraught with common mode problems. I used to have one taped to my apartment window for 70cm repeaters and it did the job well.

If you can solder, 5 pieces of wire 19" long soldered to a SO-239 panel mount that also makes a very effective ground plane that will extend your range on any power range your HT offers.

WZ7U likes this.
  10. KV4JW

Oh I fully intend on producing a couple SO-239 groundplanes, the problem is they're just not very.. Portable? I want something I can hang up from the window in the living room, or take to a hotel room if I'm on a trip. I'll probably do just that though, make a sleeve dipole to keep in my pocket, and a couple VHF 1/4 waves to give to my friends.

NH7RO likes this.