ad: ProAudio-1

poor practice or totally acceptable?

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KK4YWN, Feb 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. WA9WVX

WA9WVX Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Ash,

Interesting idea to bring the ops out of the woodwork, you know they are listening but normally not calling CQ or talking to other hams. I wonder what kind of a mobile antenna you're using on your vehicle for 2 m SSB?

Dan
    WA9WVX

2. KK4YWN

KK4YWN Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Dan

I use a commercial vhf vertical. I'm adding an efactor horizontal soon.

3. WA9WVX

Ash,

Just by switching to a horizontal antenna will make a world of difference on your 2 m SSB contacts. I ran an older Cushcraft 2 m Squalo with 100 W and could work guys as far away as 180 miles while in my vehicle. They may look obnoxious while you drive down the road but I was into performance not aesthetics. You'll notice a 20 dB difference with the signal quality. I still think you're application using a beacon signal is quite a good idea. Good Luck with efactor antenna. If you ever get over to the Smokey Mountain National Park, drive up to Clingman's Dome, they have a large parking lot and do some VHF DXing, you'll be amazed at the distances that you'll be able to cover on 2 m SSB mobile.

Dan
    WA9WVX

4. KK4YWN

I've had fair luck on the vertical. Plenty of deep fading reported by horizontal base stations, but mostly copyable. The distances have been surprising.

I have an ft867d in the car and I wish I'd bought an 817 and a brick. Its more expensive but far far more flexible. Live and learn.

Right now I'm just waiting on a mobile mast. The antenna is ready to go.

5. M0TGK

M0TGK Ham Member QRZ Page

IMHO This is hogging the calling frequency. What if I want to call CQ, and don't want to speak to you(no offense intended!) Or you could be in-between me and a weak DX that I can't work, and he can't work me. Or if I wanted to arrange a sked with another station etc.

I can't imagine this going down to well on the FM calling channel, why is SSB any different. You can't just assume the band is yours / empty?

Perhaps I'm just (overly?) concerned about this, as there is *some* 2m SSB activity here in the UK, and I could imagine this interfering. Anyway, just an alternate view.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
  6. KK4YWN

ssb is a great mode with excellent operators and plenty of space. and the performance just trounces fm. you should try it.

a friend of mine lives 40 miles away. he has a cc 13b2 mounted horizontally. he talks to me on 3w output. i have no problem copying him. when my new beam goes up we'll try a half watt. should be no problem.

7. W9ALD

W9ALD Ham Member QRZ Page

Having been on 6 & 2 meters for the past forty years or so I think this is a wonderful idea and more of us should be doing it. Six and 2 meters SSB/CW portion of the bands is so unoccupied most of the time that it is highly unlikely that two operators would be fighting over the calling frequency. If so, great! QRM on the calling frequency usually brings operators to see where the band is open to and creates more activity on unoccupied spectrum.

Great idea!

CW on the SSB calling frequency really isn't an issue as it is indeed the fallback mode when signals get weak.

8. WA9WVX

Why would you had a pre-arranged schedule on the Calling frequency in the first place? You could choose +/- 10 KHz of the Calling Frequency and make your connection. Ash is using his CW Beacon on the Calling Frequency to generate a contact or more as he drives along the highway. I haven't been active on 2 m SSB for several years but it's not that crowded in the first place.

Dan
    WA9WVX

9. M0TGK

M0TGK Ham Member QRZ Page

Why would you had a pre-arranged schedule on the Calling frequency in the first place?

Perhaps I used the wrong terminology, I meant calling a specific station. i.e G8XYZ this is 2E0GPO, and then when contact is made QSYing. The majority of the time this is on the calling frequency as this is the frequency everyone monitors, and yes I have heard this happen on 2m sideband.

All I'm saying is be aware of / sensitive to other stations wanting to use the calling frequency.

10. KK4YWN

No worries.

I have had experiences where my beacon triggered several other QSO's. It usually goes: I beacon. Someone calls. Someone else calls the first caller. QSO begins. I turn off the beacon.

CW really extends the range of my mobile, but since I can't send/rec CW, I'm reaching stations I can't QSO with. When I can hear these stations I disable the beacon and yield the frequency.

Some folks simply need to talk. I'm quite content listening. To be honest, if my beacon triggers a QSO between two other stations: I'm pleased. That puts the band in-use.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.